Competition Brisket Roundtable...

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

GRailsback
Bandolero

Re: Competition Brisket Roundtable...

Postby GRailsback » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:10 pm

Great looking turn in box rus.
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:52 am

GRailsback wrote:Great looking turn in box rus.

Thanks Brother. Definitely my best looking slices to date. Looking back at the pictures, I should have added one more slice to cover up the smudges under the meat and make the box look more consistently full. :)

rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
allenayres
Rustler

Postby allenayres » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:39 pm

It does look good. The bottom reminds me - my most difficult part is getting the fat side trimmed evenly - do y'all just do your best and cut it evenly after slicing? I've done that but it removes the bark on that edge.

My father-in-law sent me a link to this trimmer: https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/qwick-t ... et-trimmer - have any of you used this? Maybe it would help even out the fat side trim.
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:21 pm

allenayres wrote:It does look good. The bottom reminds me - my most difficult part is getting the fat side trimmed evenly - do y'all just do your best and cut it evenly after slicing? I've done that but it removes the bark on that edge.

My father-in-law sent me a link to this trimmer: https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/qwick-t ... et-trimmer - have any of you used this? Maybe it would help even out the fat side trim.

Allenayres, I saw the same thing once i looked back at the pix. The following weekend I was in another competition and actually just slide the knife across the bottom fat of the first slice to give it a nice squared look. Of course w/ the thin side of the flat its still triangular shaped, but it looked better. Also looking back the bottom was covered with some greens so mattered less.

As for worrying too much about how evenly its trimmed, I do my best and move on. the only slice that REALLY matters for even fatcap is the first one. Thats the only one that is going to get judged for looks. The rest usually have a small fat layer at the bottom that i think adds to the flavor.

For sh!ts and giggles.. here is the box from that following weekend. Took third.

rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
allenayres
Rustler

Postby allenayres » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:38 am

Nice... good point about the first slice, I didn't think about that. I saw some turn in boxes from some other competitions and from the same person who placed first in several comps in a row the fat either was gone completely and squared off or looked like he nawed it off with his teeth :lol: I guess appearance of the fat doesn't really matter all that much.

To see something amazing, check out the brisket at this link: https://youtu.be/wdmFolG5YA0?t=320 - even at the Jack it looks like he didn't trim the fat cap at all, but the marbling, fullness and cut of the flat is :shock:

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”