Competition Scoring

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jtilk
Outlaw

Competition Scoring

Postby jtilk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:27 pm

This question is really for those of you who have been involved with judging or heading up an event... A) but when it comes to scoring different entries, how many points typically seperate each place?? How many points would it take for you to consider one entry handsdown better than another??... B) what is the typical scoring system for determining the "Grand Champion" ??

I ask the second part because the event we attended that was unsanctioned this weekend and they explained the scoring system to everyone, but it just didn't seem logical to me.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Competition Scoring

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:56 pm

Just my very humble opinion: Scoring depends on the sanctioning body. To know for sure, take a judging class. That way you'll know what the criteria is.

That said, it appears that sweet beats heat.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tntbbq USER_AVATAR
tntbbq
Rustler

Postby tntbbq » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:16 pm

jtilk wrote:This question is really for those of you who have been involved with judging or heading up an event... A) but when it comes to scoring different entries, how many points typically seperate each place?? How many points would it take for you to consider one entry handsdown better than another??... B) what is the typical scoring system for determining the "Grand Champion" ??

I ask the second part because the event we attended that was unsanctioned this weekend and they explained the scoring system to everyone, but it just didn't seem logical to me.

It depends on the sanctioning body, should give a score based on appearance, texture, and taste, aroma etc. As far as a point score, it can vary by a close to wide margin depending on the judges and product, there is no magic number for a hands down winner.
As far as LSBS and ICBA GC calculations, it is very simple. 1st place gets 10 points, 2nd place gets 9 points, etc, all the way down to 10th which gets 1 point. Tally the points from all catagories and you can determine GC and RGC. KCBS is totally different you get one score for appearance, one score for texture, and one score for taste. The highest being 9 and the lowest being 1. They have a factor they multiply for each case, taste being the highest multipler I think, haven't cooked a KCBS in several years. For example if you had a taste score of 7, then multiply that by 1.75 or whatever the factor is and you come up with your taste score. Texture and appearance have different factors, don't ask me where they came up with it, I have no idea. Anyway add taste, text, app. scores together to get a number, usually to a .0001 of a point. That may not be totally right on the KCBS, but it's pretty close.
Also on LSBS and ICBA in case of a tie, brisket is the tie breaker. Hope that helps.
3 WSM for comps Larry<Moe<Curley
TNT BBQ CO. Competion BBQ Team
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:35 pm

See at the cookoff this past weekend they determined the "Grand Champion" by tallying the scores in every category for a total score... For example say you have 5 judges in chicken that give you a score of: 8,8,7,9,7= total pts towards grand champion are: 39... They do this for every category as long as you place and come up with an accumulative total. The problem I had with it is technically you can win 1st place in brisket with a lower score than say 3rd place ribs, and the 3rds place ribs in effect is more valuable than the 1st place finish due to points. How much sense does that make?? (mind you this was an unsanctioned event)
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”