Got to judge chicken today...

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Got to judge chicken today...

Postby ecto1 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Ok got to judge chicken today it was an unsanctioned event but a lot of teams and some big names here in Houston. Here are some of the points I took away. First I did not like the way this unsanctioned event worked 5 people tasted all 26 entries one at a time. They should have given us each a box and we pass it to the left or something like that. So it took a long time but even if it was quick make sure you chicken taste good cold. The ones that were better were grilled not smoked the smoked ones were prettier but the grilled ones were better chickens. If the chicken was not top 10 it had zero flavor boy you have to make an impression because it is hard to change a mind when the judge has just one bite. Lots of chickens tasted exactly the same I have a feeling lots of beer can chickens were cooked. Make sure you bird is done two dq's today for bloody chicken. Women liked the breast meat men picked thighs.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Re: Got to judge chicken today...

Postby RWBTEX » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:27 pm

Finally got my "certified judge " badge yesterday and yes its a very eye opening experience in that judges room. 26 entries to taste is way to many, we were commenting among ourselves (judges) yesterday how you can see that meter filling up in the judges eyes as they get past about 12-15 entries. Was head judge yesterday and only 23 teams. As a cook myself and been a judge many times I really feel 20+ trays is too many so I ran two tables of 11 and 12 and a finals table after that.Amazing to see how different people have very different palletes all the way through, however at at least in IBCA from what I seen the good stuff still rises to the top consistently. Last cook off I judged I had 5 raw chickens dq'ed in one table of twenty, really blows my mind how any one would spend the money;time and work to go to a comp and turn in a raw chicken. I try to encourage as many head cooks as possible to take off one day from cooking and be a judge to see how it all really works and how the winners are winners, they always walk away shaking their head in amazement. Its a very good experience.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”