Separate your brisket?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Pflugerbill
Pilgrim

Separate your brisket?

Postby Pflugerbill » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:35 pm

Been thinking about for a while and finally going to put it out there.

For my brisket turn in's I like to get a nice mix of moist and lean. What are your thoughts on separating your brisket and cooking it as 2 pieces? That way you still get bark all around all your slices and can have both moist and lean.

Do any of you do this already? Pro's...con's....
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Separate your brisket?

Postby Rambo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm a home cooker so take what you want.

I'll cook the whole brisket for about 6 hrs(I do L&S on a Stick Burner). I have some heavy rubber gloves and will carefully butterfly the point and flat but NOT totally separate them. I then lay the split side down and let her roll until done, works very well for me.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:05 pm

By the way, you'll also notice I'm an Astronaut
Pflugerbill
Pilgrim

Postby Pflugerbill » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:08 pm

Rambo wrote:carefully butterfly the point and flat but NOT totally separate them. I then lay the split side down and let her roll until done, works very well for me.

That's also an interesting idea. Do you cook the full brisket to a specific temp before you split it?
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:35 pm

I'll trim the fat vein down that seperates the point and the flat, but I never seperate completely.
When you do comps, what sanctioning body are you usually under?
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
Pflugerbill
Pilgrim

Postby Pflugerbill » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:45 pm

LSBS, Lone Star BBQ Society

Their rules want 7 complete slices. As mentioned earlier, I like to give slices from the middle as they aren't as dry. Just wondering if separating the brisket would allow allow me to submit lean and complete moist only
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:34 pm

I was asking cus it's common in KCBS to submit slices as well as burnt ends, if I was doing KCBS I might take that approach. I'd be curious to know if turning in slices from the point and the flat would do more harm than good as it would throw the judges a curve ball from what they would expect. I've always just turned in slices strictly from the flat and had quite a bit of success as of late. That being said to each his own, seperating it would allow you to have more control over each muscle.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:47 pm

Pflugerbill wrote:
Rambo wrote:carefully butterfly the point and flat but NOT totally separate them. I then lay the split side down and let her roll until done, works very well for me.

That's also an interesting idea. Do you cook the full brisket to a specific temp before you split it?

Not really. Just feel.I'd assume it's at the stall point when I do it. It doesn't really lay flat either kinda, like a Teepee. It gets a little bark on the inside and is wonderful.
When I put it on the cutting board it is whole
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:54 pm

Typically I just heavily trim the vein of fat between the point and flat as jtilk mentioned earlier, but I have been separating the point and flat as of late with success. When cooking IBCA, you really don't need the point anyway, so I will vac seal it and cook it later at the house for chopped and/or burnt ends. Now cooking KCBS would be a different story, since having the burnt ends might be a necessity.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”