Competition Chicken Roundtable...

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

brandon87 USER_AVATAR
Brandon87
Wrangler

Re: Competition Chicken Roundtable...

Postby Brandon87 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:40 pm

I always go for the dark mahogany look. Sweet with heat sauce. It has been my experience that a hint of fruit sometimes works well with ribs but hasn't ever helped me with chicken.
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:47 pm

Cannonball Express wrote:Is it just the higher cooking temps that get those beautiful colors on those chickens, or is there a secret? like butter or olive oil?!?!

You can alter color a few different ways. Spraying it with pam or brushing with oil with brown the chicken...sauce or a glaze will give it the "glistening" effect and make it orange or brown obviously... But the type of wood you choose can have a huge effect on it as well. Oak and pecan will give it more of the traditional medium brown, while apple makes it lighter than usual... if you want the mahogany look use cherry. Regardless of what you do with the above, always cook it a chicken at atleast 275, preferrable 325-350.
L-n-S is usually chose because in theory the meat has a higher fat cotent that needs a lil time to break down during the cook, not the case with chicken. Fat isn't marbled throughout and the only thing you're rendering out is what is on the skin, so essentially unlike a brisket or rib it doesnt need time to render out throughout the entire cut. You're just trying to get it up to temp and the less time it's exposed to the heat the less time it has to dry out. Hopefully this paints as better picture of reasoning for you...
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:55 am

+1 on cherry wood, gives it a great color!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
cannonball express USER_AVATAR
Cannonball Express
Rustler

Postby Cannonball Express » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:45 am

jtilk wrote:
Cannonball Express wrote:Is it just the higher cooking temps that get those beautiful colors on those chickens, or is there a secret? like butter or olive oil?!?!

You can alter color a few different ways. Spraying it with pam or brushing with oil with brown the chicken...sauce or a glaze will give it the "glistening" effect and make it orange or brown obviously... But the type of wood you choose can have a huge effect on it as well. Oak and pecan will give it more of the traditional medium brown, while apple makes it lighter than usual... if you want the mahogany look use cherry. Regardless of what you do with the above, always cook it a chicken at atleast 275, preferrable 325-350.
L-n-S is usually chose because in theory the meat has a higher fat cotent that needs a lil time to break down during the cook, not the case with chicken. Fat isn't marbled throughout and the only thing you're rendering out is what is on the skin, so essentially unlike a brisket or rib it doesnt need time to render out throughout the entire cut. You're just trying to get it up to temp and the less time it's exposed to the heat the less time it has to dry out. Hopefully this paints as better picture of reasoning for you...

Absolutely! Thank you sir!!!!
Tyler "TC" Cannon
Mr. Orange
Wrangler

Postby Mr. Orange » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:37 pm

What kind of skin texture are you looking for?
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:32 am

Mr. Orange wrote:What kind of skin texture are you looking for?

Easily cut through with a plastic knife, but I really don't worry too much about the skin, it's rendered useless after the first judge or 2 anyway.,
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
txluke USER_AVATAR
txluke
Wrangler

Postby txluke » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:30 pm

I cook whole organic chickens. I split them and brine. I cook over mesquite lump. I just started to lightly sauce near the end. Haven't tried in comps yet.
MaxBobcat
Pilgrim

Postby MaxBobcat » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:49 pm

IS there any benefit to cooking a spatchcocked chicken (intact) insteaf of cooking two separated halves?

Also, When I spatchcock my bird then split it, I notice little ribs underneath the bird close to the breast. Do you guys just leave those or try to cut them off?
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:18 pm

Nobody is gonna eat them rib bones on the bottom side of the chicken, that's just extra work you don't have to do. We don't even season the bottom of the chicken.
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:41 pm

I cut my chicken in halves, I personally dont see a benefit to leaving the bird spatchcocked vs a full split. In fact I cut into halves so I dont worry about the skin pulling after it's cooked. As for the rib bones, the only reason I may remove them is because I'm brining in a bag and dont want them to puncture it.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
B&K Smokers
Rustler

Postby B&K Smokers » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:49 pm

My chicken stays light brown. Seems to always hit. Brine, season, light glaze. 165 pull, tray, listen for my number
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:32 am

Any of you guys using butcher's or copycat'?
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:14 am

atcNick wrote:Any of you guys using butcher's or copycat'?

Butchers seems to be a better option for me than the Kosmo's I tried, but the Kosmo's was a fine product and I'm sure there are an ample number of people experiencing success with it. Butchers seems to mix easier for me.
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:24 pm

Tried the bird booster, pocketed too much with weird yellow color mixed half strength. That forced me to make my own brine injection and we been on a roll ever since then in chicken. Also , just FYI, everyone that tried the bird booster at our tasting got the S***s! The flavor you can get into your bird by making your own injection can be mind blowing.
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:52 pm

JMoney7269 wrote: Also , just FYI, everyone that tried the bird booster at our tasting got the S***s!

You sure that wasnt from an under cooked bird ??? :laughing7: :laughing7: ... I kid, I kid

As with most commercial injections their "directions" are usually to strong. More you use= more you buy = more $$ in their pocket. So it tends to be logical they would do that.

I cant speak for their both chicken injections but Kosmo's seems to be too salty for my taste.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”