Chicken Injection....

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Chicken Injection....

Postby bruno994 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:09 pm

I'm a brine guy, but lately I have also been injecting my birds with the brine about an hour before the birds hit the pit. My question is for those that inject their birds, how far in advance of cooking do you inject? Hour, 6 hours, over night? I am having success with this method, but like most of us, I'm always in search of the magic bullet...never completely happy I guess.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: Chicken Injection....

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:17 pm

I inject th nite before 6-8 hours before cooking
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:15 pm

I do what ^^^ taught me
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
B&K Smokers
Rustler

Postby B&K Smokers » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:20 pm

straight brine guy myself. about 15 hours. Dont pull out of brine until 30 minutes before pit time.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:14 pm

I only brine, 2 hours for parts, 4 hours for a spatchcocked bird.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:06 pm

Either you dont have enough salt in your brine or you have some very salty chickens, 2 to 3 hour before for me and not with the brine.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
B&K Smokers
Rustler

Postby B&K Smokers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:04 am

Ever since i started extending my brine times i have been 1st place 3 times and top 5 the other two times. I cup of kosher to the gallon plus my other stuff. No complaints so far.
bruno994 USER_AVATAR
bruno994
Cowboy

Postby bruno994 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:01 am

I prefer a salty bird, 12+ hour brine for 4 chicken halves in 2 quarts of water with 1 cup of kosher to 1/2 cup sugar along with some other ingredients.
Hale of a Good BBQ...2013-2014 IBCA Third Coast Cooker of the Year...Semi-retired...
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 am

Fine Cooking has a pretty good article on brining by a food scientist, http://www.finecooking.com/articles/why-brining-keeps-meat-moist.aspx. The chart on brine times has worked well for me.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
B&K Smokers
Rustler

Postby B&K Smokers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:56 am

bruno994 wrote:I prefer a salty bird, 12+ hour brine for 4 chicken halves in 2 quarts of water with 1 cup of kosher to 1/2 cup sugar along with some other ingredients.

+1 Judges only get one bite so it has to pop. Injecting chicken leaves pockets of flavor in my opinion. I want my flavor even and to the bone.
chingoblingo USER_AVATAR
ChingoBlingo
Rustler

Postby ChingoBlingo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:02 am

I also do at least minimum 12 hrs in the brine, just started 6 months ago but has gotten me a first and second in the 2 cook offs I have done recently. Ready for # 3 in a couple weeks....fingers crossed
npayne1 USER_AVATAR
NPayne1
Rustler

Postby NPayne1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:10 am

Brine over night is a super salty/sugary concoction. No injection. Pull and pat dry an hr before u put on pit. This method got me 4th overall chicken in the W3 series and I only did 2 out of the 3 events.
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:15 pm

I would state what I do, but I think you guys have divulged plenty.
I'll just say I have tried both at some point or another and there is no wrong answer.
If you can get a moist bird that taste like chicken you should have no problem getting a call. To me it's the easiest category to do well in if you can just accomplish this simply because so many are so horrible at keeping a bird moist.
Last edited by jtilk on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:02 am

Well I think yardbird is the most difficult to cook for competition because you have a 10 minute window from perfect bird to breast startin to dry out bird. But I cook hot & fast. Ribs and brisket are much more forgiving on time.

I inject 4 hours before it hits the cooker. There are no flavorless pockets if the correct injection tool and technique are used properly. Many brine their birds. Both techiques produce some good eats! Find one that works for you and Git R Done :D :D
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:26 pm

BigDave wrote:Well I think yardbird is the most difficult to cook for competition because you have a 10 minute window from perfect bird to breast startin to dry out bird. But I cook hot & fast. Ribs and brisket are much more forgiving on time.

I inject 4 hours before it hits the cooker. There are no flavorless pockets if the correct injection tool and technique are used properly. Many brine their birds. Both techiques produce some good eats! Find one that works for you and Git R Done :D :D

... Notice I did make it a conditional statement saying "IF" you could keep it moist :wink: ... just wanted to cover my backside :laughing7:
For the record I cook mine @ about 325 myself
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”