Sanctioned cook off

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JohnBFryJr
Pilgrim

Sanctioned cook off

Postby JohnBFryJr » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:28 pm

What are the benefits of having a sanctioned cook off? We hold an annual fundraising cook off and this is my second year running it. Just curious to find out if it would raise any more money to go by someone else's rule book.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: Sanctioned cook off

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:22 pm

A sanctioned event may provide more public exposure.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

Postby Speed » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:58 pm

Sanctioning a cook off will give you a standardized set of rules that everyone has to follow. Also, it usually (depending on the sanctioning body) gives the cooks a better chance of letting thier food provide the winners as oposed to the "local" guys taking everything home. Bubba Q's will usually not draw as big of a crowd beacuase of this. Another point is that if its a sacntioned cook off, there are accolades for those that win the cook off or place in a certain catagory. For example, if you place 1st-3rd in any catagory of a sanctioned cook off, you qualify for an inviatation to the "National Championship" in Meridian held by LSBS. The American Royal and the Jack draws are also benifits of winning a sanctioned cook off.
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Smoke-Kings-Ba ... 621281240/
email us at smokekingsbarbecue@gmail.com

"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"
Markw142
Cowboy

Postby Markw142 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:24 am

you also get exposed to more cooking teams via the sanctioning body's web page, and it will then show up in the "BBQ news" news letter.
WDS Cookers - Tomball Tx
LoneStar Grillz LSGTP 24’’X 84’’ trailer rig
Oklahoma Joe offset 20"x48" home rig
Weber kettle
JohnBFryJr
Pilgrim

Postby JohnBFryJr » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:42 am

I guess I need to go to a few sanctioned cook offs. Judging has done more for my cooking than wasting money experimenting. Guess I need to leave the county and explore!
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:29 pm

It's getting more and more that good cooks will not go to an unsanctioned event. sanctioning give the cooks a peace of mind that it will be done fairly and honestly. Dont matter if we win or lose as long as we had a fair shot at it. The head judges are also trained on how to run an event fairly and honestly.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:32 pm

Sanctioned events will give you more exposure... and not to mention possibel added money for payouts. Cooks will chase points on certain cookoffs rather than just drawing from local teams as well. Cant say there is any downfall to having a consistent set of rules to abide by either.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:35 pm

where can I find a list or calendar of sanctioned cook off events? I'd like to attend a few and get a little observation time in.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:25 pm

I only look at sanctioned events, there are quite a few non sanctioned events that are good cook offs just not in my area. I agree with most everything that has already been said, building a cook off over time to exceed 50 plus teams and good payouts is mostly on the promoters back but having your cook off on one of the sanctioning body's calenders helps tremendously in my opinion.

Here ya go riseabove50,
http://ibcabbq.org/all-events/
http://www.tgcbca.org/calendar.htm
http://www.lonestarbarbecue.com/2014-events/
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”