Tips on cookoffs?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

LaFamiliaKookerz
Pilgrim

Tips on cookoffs?

Postby LaFamiliaKookerz » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:13 pm

Where going to be entering a few cookoffs this year 2016. Any tips or pointers we could use? What are we allow to bring besides meats smokers etc..
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Tips on cookoffs?

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:02 pm

We use three rolling job boxes to carry our stuff to comps.
Here is a list of what we bring.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:18 pm

My list is a lot like that. Several times I've tried to narrow down the list and I end up needing something I scratched from the list. :banghead:

I use a rolling tool chest with 5 sliding drawers. Has a flat surface on top. Works great.

The list of stuff you'll need will vary some depending on where your cooking and whether or not they have electricity/water,etc. Sometimes the size of the cooking spot will dictate what you can and can't take. I've cooked in a cook-off that only provided a 15'x15' spot. Some cook-offs don't have a space requirement at all.

I'd recommend making a list of all the stuff you use at home to cook the comp meats (and other goodies) and plan on taking that with you. Plan ahead. I starting planning for a cook-off weeks in advance. At times last year I kept a cooler in the truck during the week at all times (to pick up comp goodies).
woody wood USER_AVATAR
Woody Wood
Bandolero

Postby Woody Wood » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:30 pm

Well if I forget something I'm going to see Kevin!!!
El Rey Smokers
Traeger
Big Green Egg
MeatChurch BBQ
Oakridge BBQ
Backwoods Spirits

3 Woody's BBQ
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:42 pm

Woody Wood wrote:Well if I forget something I'm going to see Kevin!!!

If you need it and I have it Sean you are more than welcome to it Brother. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
queʹa syde USER_AVATAR
Que'a Syde
Cowboy

Postby Que'a Syde » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 pm

No matter what u will ALWAYS for get something..LOLOLOLOLOL :deadhorse:
East Texas Smoker RK250/Autism edition
Fat Ash Drum Smoker
KCBS Memeber #60187
KCBS Certified Judge #60187
MBN Member #T110238
Tinye11
Pilgrim

Postby Tinye11 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:31 pm

k.a.m. I see you have your priorities straight as Beer is the first thing on your list.
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:24 pm

Thats quite a list Kevin!! All I can add is do all your meat prep and brines, sauces at home.
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:48 am

Well my standard reply is this. You can bring everything and two kitched sinks and you will forgit something unless you do this:

Driveway cookoff!

Best advise I can give you. Turnin times for most cookoffs are 11am to 3 PM. With most at 11 for beans, noon for chicken, 1 to 1:30 for ribs and 2 to 3 for briskets.

If you don't have yer stuff ready on time ... nuthin matters as you are gonna be a great spectator.

So, back to that driveway cookoff.

Begin yer cookoff at whatever time you want. Cold, windy, rainy days would be good practice! :) You will run into all of this at cookoffs and it does effect the times.

Back to the cookoff,

When you begin, note the time & keep copious notes on EVERYTHING. Leave nothing from the notes!!! This is important. Have a list of stuff you use. NO MATTER THE INSIGNIFICANCE of the item. If you used it, put it on the list. Every tool, spice, supply, seasoning, matches, gloves, utensils, paper towels, everything!!!! No exclusions!!! Now you have yer list to bring. Don't fergit water jugs, cuttin boards, knifes, fuel, everything goes on the list.

You also will need non-competiton stuff like food, drinks, snack, bedding, rainwear AND a fire extinguisher. We use one of the larger ones sold at home depot. Not one of those itty bitty boat extinguishers. Fire marshalls are known to show up looking for those things. Its always a good ideer to have 3 bus tubs also. Take a marker and write wash, rinse, sanitize on them. Just in case the health dept gurus show up too. Oh and a small bottle of bleach for the sanitize tub! :) The list got longer! :)

Now start that driveway cookoff and have plenty of paper & pens! :)
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:55 am

BigDave wrote:Well my standard reply is this. You can bring everything and two kitched sinks and you will forgit something unless you do this:

Driveway cookoff!

Best advise I can give you. Turnin times for most cookoffs are 11am to 3 PM. With most at 11 for beans, noon for chicken, 1 to 1:30 for ribs and 2 to 3 for briskets.

If you don't have yer stuff ready on time ... nuthin matters as you are gonna be a great spectator.

So, back to that driveway cookoff.

Begin yer cookoff at whatever time you want. Cold, windy, rainy days would be good practice! :) You will run into all of this at cookoffs and it does effect the times.

Back to the cookoff,

When you begin, note the time & keep copious notes on EVERYTHING. Leave nothing from the notes!!! This is important. Have a list of stuff you use. NO MATTER THE INSIGNIFICANCE of the item. If you used it, put it on the list. Every tool, spice, supply, seasoning, matches, gloves, utensils, paper towels, everything!!!! No exclusions!!! Now you have yer list to bring. Don't fergit water jugs, cuttin boards, knifes, fuel, everything goes on the list.

You also will need non-competiton stuff like food, drinks, snack, bedding, rainwear AND a fire extinguisher. We use one of the larger ones sold at home depot. Not one of those itty bitty boat extinguishers. Fire marshalls are known to show up looking for those things. Its always a good ideer to have 3 bus tubs also. Take a maker and write wash, rinse, sanitize on them. Just in case the health dept gurus show up too.

Now start that driveway cookoff and have plenty of paper & pens! :)

I will add if you are going to try to do a cook off scenario at home start on your meat as you would at a comp. When I want to practice timing at home I put my brisket on at 2:00 A.M. and my other meats follow suit. This way you are cooking real time not leisurely. Hit your marks on the turn in times as you would a cook off.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:58 am

Big Ed wrote:Thats quite a list Kevin!! All I can add is do all your meat prep and brine's, sauces at home.

Good advice Ed and one we follow. Debbie starts on brine's and glazes the Monday of the cook off. We trim meat on Thursday night so there is no surprises at the comp on Friday evening.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:01 am

Que'a Syde wrote:No matter what u will ALWAYS for get something..LOLOLOLOLOL :deadhorse:

Not if it is on the list. :D :lol:
Friday before pull out every item on the list above is checked off.
We even have a revised benefit and catering list we use. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:02 am

Tinye11 wrote:k.a.m. I see you have your priorities straight as Beer is the first thing on your list.

You know it Brother. ;) :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
txluke USER_AVATAR
txluke
Wrangler

Postby txluke » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:11 am

One of the best tips I ever got was to go to a few cook offs and judge

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”