Comp ?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: Comp ?

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:42 pm

Mark wrote:Pellet smokers are perfectly acceptable to compete with. You are correct an electric powered auger is used to feed the fire however it does not do the cooking. The cooking is done with wood or wood products. Pellets are made from wood like charcoal so all is good. Pellet cookers are allowed across the country by other sanctioning bodies. I would not suggest pellet cooker be disallowed.

Thank you.

Craig Sharry
IBCA Exec Director

How can he make a statement like that? Of course the ELECTRIC auger does the cooking, just like the thermostat and the fan do. It plays just as important a role in the cooking process as the wood pellets. The pit master has only to fill the bin with pellets and set the temp. Oh I forgot........and plug it in.

This is from the horse's mouth -- go argue with the horse. While you're doing that, I'll take a nap. :laughing7: :texas:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
Mark
Pilgrim

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:29 pm

k.a.m. wrote

Where does it end?
Should we ban all electric devises including digital thermometers?

So wood fired rotisseries should be banned as well? I have a friend who built a rotisserie that is wood fired only and he has to maintain the fire just like an offset but he uses electricity to rotate the carousel.

I strongly believe that the issue at hand is fire management plain and simple. k.a.m. you know as well as I do that a constant temp has to be maintained in order to do well in a competition and to produce a quality product.

Digital thermometers and motor carousels have nothing to do with fire management. Digital thermometers aid the cook as to what is happening in the pit and carousels aid in the finished product. Heck, a flashlight lets you see inside the pit. I don't even have issues with a meat probe. I use those as well. None of these items, or the countless other tools we use during a cook, will open the door, feed it fuel, stoke the fire, or blow air into the pit. Fire management is where the issue lies.

I really don't care if a guy sleeps, drinks, listens to music, or does any of the other countless things people do during a contest. He sent his money in just like everyone else, and he can choose to do whatever he wants. People can show up in a big coach, 5th wheel, toy hauler, camper, or a tent. They can use the kitchen while having all the comforts of home if they choose to do so. I really don't care. However, whether in be a contest, game or match, there are and should be rules to even things out in order to create a level playing field. Electric devices that run a pit without human aid to maintain constant temp do in fact create an uneven playing field.

I believe that this issue is the fault of the governing bodies/organizations of competition BBQ. Companies that produce these devices are sponsoring and donating to these governing bodies. By allowing these types of electronic devices/pits to be used in completion BBQ, they would be jeopardizing the money and sponsorship that they are receiving.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:28 pm

You see that is the thing I know you do not need constant temps to win. On more than one occasion my temps have swung on my brisket or ribs well over 30° and they hit top five. My cooker runs consistently between 250° and 275°that is a far cry from what you can achieve on a pellet cooker and yet I still beat them or if it is their day they beat me. The judges do not know what you cooked on or whether or not your temps fluctuated just turn in good BBQ and hope its your day. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
marvda1
Wrangler

Postby marvda1 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:41 pm

is it any different than someone who uses a rotisserie in their smoker that is powered by electricity?
or for that matter the computer/blower that controls air flow to the pit.
ringer1
Pilgrim

Postby ringer1 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:32 pm

Mark wrote:k.a.m. wrote

Where does it end?
Should we ban all electric devises including digital thermometers?

So wood fired rotisseries should be banned as well? I have a friend who built a rotisserie that is wood fired only and he has to maintain the fire just like an offset but he uses electricity to rotate the carousel.

I strongly believe that the issue at hand is fire management plain and simple. k.a.m. you know as well as I do that a constant temp has to be maintained in order to do well in a competition and to produce a quality product.

Digital thermometers and motor carousels have nothing to do with fire management. Digital thermometers aid the cook as to what is happening in the pit and carousels aid in the finished product. Heck, a flashlight lets you see inside the pit. I don't even have issues with a meat probe. I use those as well. None of these items, or the countless other tools we use during a cook, will open the door, feed it fuel, stoke the fire, or blow air into the pit. Fire management is where the issue lies.

I really don't care if a guy sleeps, drinks, listens to music, or does any of the other countless things people do during a contest. He sent his money in just like everyone else, and he can choose to do whatever he wants. People can show up in a big coach, 5th wheel, toy hauler, camper, or a tent. They can use the kitchen while having all the comforts of home if they choose to do so. I really don't care. However, whether in be a contest, game or match, there are and should be rules to even things out in order to create a level playing field. Electric devices that run a pit without human aid to maintain constant temp do in fact create an uneven playing field.

I believe that this issue is the fault of the governing bodies/organizations of competition BBQ. Companies that produce these devices are sponsoring and donating to these governing bodies. By allowing these types of electronic devices/pits to be used in completion BBQ, they would be jeopardizing the money and sponsorship that they are receiving.

Very well stated!!!
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:55 pm

and pellet cookers can be run on a battery and an inverter
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:25 pm

i don't cook in competition butt...
if i was cooking in comp i'd be using my pellet cooker with a battery &an inverter
and my OldSmokey for chicken

if you're talking about sleeping when you're on the road...?
i kayak fish, duck hunt from my kayak, race kayaks and canoes, and i team captain for teams that kayak & canoe race
i use a fold up cot, with a totally mesh solo tent on the cot, with a beach umbrella for some shade, and to keep the morning dew off when i'm not using the rain fly.

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”