Comp ?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Re: Comp ?

Postby Finatic » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:32 pm

Jgk wrote:What about a Karubecue ( KBS) ? It burns real wood! Has a fire but uses a fan like a BBQ Guru? Is this legal in a KCBS event ? It requires electricity. :?:

That's the first I've ever heard of one. Looking at it online I don't see why it would not be allowed in most comps.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:21 pm

Where do you draw the line? No pellet cookers? Okay what about BGEs and Primo Pits? They burn lump charcoal, but with my BBQ Guru, it is pretty much set and forget. Little fire management. Okay, let's ban those as well. Well what about the WSM? The Guru makes them almost a 'just load the charcoal' type of grill. Let's ban those too. And don't forget those gravity fed cabinets like Stump's. Hook a Guru to them and you don't even have to load charcoal but once.

What is left? Off-sets and drums? Then why not have an off-set only competition? Throw them splits in there, pound on your chest, and give a Tim 'The Tool Man' Taylor arrh, arrh, arrh! Drag the knuckles over to the moonshine still, light up a cigar, and talk manly talk.

Okay, I'm being facetious... a little. I have all of these cookers. I have cooked on them for many moons. They all have their pros and cons. A pit does not make the pit master a winner, otherwise everyone with a Jambo J3 would win every competition. This is not the case.

Should we call David Bouska (of Butcher's BBQ) a fraud because he uses a FEC 100 on the circuit? If pellet cookers are so wonderful, why did Rod Gray (of Pellet Envy) switch to a Jambo? It still boils down to the pit master. It is easy to put the blame on the pit instead of yourself.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
Mark
Pilgrim

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:16 am

My response was just strictly the use of electricity on the pit. Nothing more, nothing less. I did a comp once and was using the propane assisted fire box on my pit, to preheat the pit. Keep in mind there wasn't any meat on the pit. The pit has a quick disconnect on the propane line that I disconnect after it's up to temp, then I slide the cover over the burner and start my wood fire. It's a 30x8 offset made of 1/4 steel and it was cold outside (takes a lot of wood/time to heat up that much metal). Just thought I would save some of my wood. Remember, I wasn't cooking anything yet. Next thing I know a rep is standing next to me, wanting to disqualify me for "cooking with gas". The pellet pooper next to me ratted me to the rep and had all his buddies with the same kind of pit standing in his corner. I showed him the empty pit and disconnected gas line and everything was good with him. The guy next to me and all his buddies weren't happy and called me a cheater. I'm a really peaceful guy, but this frosted my cake to no end. I told them to their face, that if a person can't cook with gas (which I don't and never do), why do you get to cook with electricity?

k.a.m. When I made reference to a uneven playing field, I was making reference only to the electric devices on the pit. I too have drums and WSM's, and easy as they are to keep a steady temp with the right adjustments, it still takes bit of tinkering around to get them to draft right and burn extended times. Even then, ash needs to knocked off the coals once in awhile to keep it purring along.

Okie Sawbones Things you say have merit. Maybe they should just let the Pro baseball players use aluminum bats, it's still baseball, and maybe the NASCAR guys should be able to use jet engines cuz it's still has 4 wheels. By the way, when I was watching that marathon of BBQ shows, in the finals they took away everyone's pits and made them all cook on RF stickburnners. Butcher looked like he just lost his best friend. Needless to say his cook wasn't all that good.
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:47 am

I believe I kinda started this debate. What I meant to say is exactly what Mark has said. Regarding the pellet cookers was the use of electricity." IBCA Rules state that A BBQ pit may include gas or electricity for starting the combustion of wood or wood products (BUT NOT TO COMPLETE COOKING) " I'm not familiar with the other sanctioning bodies as all I cook is IBCA and those are the rules listed.

I hadn't even thought about the use of the gurus and other fans that are also used to complete cooking on other types of cookers.
All I was saying was that in my opinion the use of these items takes away from true fire management and skill that will determine a good bbq chef/champion.

Again just my two cents
Ric G.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Comp ?

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:51 am

I don't get why they would've cared that Mark was using gas assist to start his pit? I use a weed burner. Only difference is one is mounted inside the pit.

Maybe they should make everybody rub sticks together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
ringer1
Pilgrim

Postby ringer1 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:25 pm

This is what I know, I run an offset with no electric to run an auger or fan. I get up and tend my fire throughout the night and lose a ton of sleep. Sometimes I do well and sometimes I walk away with nothing. The last comp I attended had a pellet smoker win RGC. Personally, I would like to see all fans and augers banned from competition so everyone has to maintain their fires instead of setting a thermostat.
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:47 am

How many pellet smokers walked away with nothing? What did the GC cook on?
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:04 am

If its an IBCA event they shouldn't be allowed. Rules are supposed to be Rules. "see my clarification of the rule above"

RG
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:07 am

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:If its an IBCA event they shouldn't be allowed. Rules are supposed to be Rules. "see my clarification of the rule above"

RG

They are allowed in IBCA that is the rule. :lol:
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:17 am

Good Morning Sir,
But how is that so if the IBCA Rules state that A BBQ pit may include gas or electricity for starting the combustion of wood or wood products (BUT NOT TO COMPLETE COOKING) "

The auger is used during the cooking process which is powered by electricity.

It seems that if they are allowed and as you stated they obviously are. Why have this rule so laid out. :scratch: :dont:

I'm gonna let it go as I don't compete that often and I was just stating the rule. It seems to always be a good talking point between those who use stick burners, vaults, wsm and such. Kinda like opinions on cooking a brisket fat side up or fat side down :lol:

Confused
Ric G.
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:09 am

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:Good Morning Sir,
But how is that so if the IBCA Rules state that A BBQ pit may include gas or electricity for starting the combustion of wood or wood products (BUT NOT TO COMPLETE COOKING)

Hey, stick by your guns. I judge KCBS and PNWBA. I'm thinking KCBS, and you are thinking IBCA. I just read the rules on their site, and by interpretation of rule #5, pellet smokers would be excluded.

I just sent an email to IBCA, asking them to clarify rule #5. Let's see if they care enough to respond.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:12 am

It's my understanding that a pellet cooker uses electricity to start the fire. Once the fire is started (or combustion is created), it is maintained by the continuous feed of wood pellets. It doesn't matter how the wood pellets are fed. Fine line but they are allowed in comps.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:47 am

As stated by Finatic. The electricity merely aids the cooker in feeding the pellets it is not the source of heat for the cooker the burning wood pellets are the heat source.
If you get upset at a team that beat you on a pellet cooker because they got more sleep than you then you should really turn your focus to your product because the judges did not know what the food was cooked on just that they thought the winning teams turn in was better than yours on that day.
For those that question my thinking no I do not use a pellet cooker I run an offset and I also sleep in my truck. At the end of the day I am sweaty tired and ready to go home and clean up but I also know that at any given day I can beat or be beaten by anyone and what ever equipment they cook on. It is about your product and the judges nothing more nothing less.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:00 am

Finatic wrote:It's my understanding that a pellet cooker uses electricity to start the fire. Once the fire is started (or combustion is created), it is maintained by the continuous feed of wood pellets. It doesn't matter how the wood pellets are fed. Fine line but they are allowed in comps.

Thanks, pard. That makes sense, but you can see the other side as well. I think IBCA needs to clarify this.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:04 am

Ok I guess I'm back in on this discussion :P
I too cook on a stick burner and always will do it that way. I don't care what the other guys cook on as you stated at the end of the day its the food that's being judged.
I stand taller when we place higher than the other guys as we all should.

ALL I said was rules are rules and the # 5 rule states what it states. Bottom line is electricity is being used to complete the product.
Am I reading or misinterpreting this?

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”