Your choice of wood for comps

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Sniper338
Pilgrim

Re: Your choice of wood for comps

Postby Sniper338 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:02 pm

Mesquite 100% all meats
txdave
Pilgrim

Postby txdave » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:21 pm

I've been selling smoking wood for a long time. Mostly to competition cookers, and the rest to back yard cookers.
From what I have seen, it mostly depends on what people are raised with and used most of the time.
Here in the south we use mostly native species like, Pecan, Hickory, Mesquite, Red, Live, Post oaks are all popular.
All have a different flavor profile and all can be used for all meat verities. Some people also mix woods for a different flavor profile.
People always ask what woods to use, and I always say the same thing. There all good, just different.
Experimenting is the only way to find that perfect flavor your looking for.
I always recommend youtube for finding new ways to smoke your meat. There are literally thousands of videos on how to BBQ.
I'm in NW Houston and carry all the woods I mentioned in stock.
PM me for details.
txdave
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:43 pm

Good Points TxDave - - - my Oldest son is a very good Offset Stick Cooker and swears by Post Oak but does not like Mesquite. As for me I only use Charcoal and Pellets but I like all Flavors, especially Mesquite and Apple. BTW, I'll be PM'n you in his behalf because he's always looking for Post Oak around the Conroe area.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdave
Pilgrim

Postby txdave » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:48 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Good Points TxDave - - - my Oldest son is a very good Offset Stick Cooker and swears by Post Oak but does not like Mesquite. As for me I only use Charcoal and Pellets but I like all Flavors, especially Mesquite and Apple. BTW, I'll be PM'n you in his behalf because he's always looking for Post Oak around the Conroe area.

PM sent, let me know if you got it.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:38 pm

txdave wrote:PM sent, let me know if you got it.

Sir Dave, I have not gotten any PM from you so you might try it again :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdave
Pilgrim

Postby txdave » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:09 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
txdave wrote:PM sent, let me know if you got it.

Sir Dave, I have not gotten any PM from you so you might try it again :dont:

I can't get a pm to go through. Just email me at slightlybentracing@yahoo.com and I will give you my contact info.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”