HOUSTON LIVESTOCK SHOW RODEO COOK OFF!!!

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

TTBM
Pilgrim

HOUSTON LIVESTOCK SHOW RODEO COOK OFF!!!

Postby TTBM » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:30 pm

Does anyone have any info on what is required to enter the HLSR Cook Off? Ive looked everywhere and tons of rumors. Do you need so many points from sanctioned events? Is there a waiting list? I heard the entry cost are ginormous? I know the application process opens up in like May, I think, but thats about it. Appreciate any/all advice

Tony
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: HOUSTON LIVESTOCK SHOW RODEO COOK OFF!!!

Postby limey » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Pretty sure you can compete if you are hosting a big party tent other wise you can enter by winning your County Go Texan cook off or by winning the Royal, the Jack Daniels or San Antonio rodeo. The cook off is not sanctioned by any BBQ Association so there really is not that much info on other sites. Went about 20 years ago and had a blast, we won the Milam County Go Texan that year.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:47 pm

just got back from the Rusk Co. Go Texan team a few minutes ago
crazy numbers of people
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
TTBM
Pilgrim

Postby TTBM » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks....that got me going down the right track search wise. Much appreciated
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:50 pm

You have to get on a waiting list. Not sure what the cutoff is, but I also think you have to get on it each year, meaning I don't think your request to get in transfers to the next year automatically. You can go to the HLSR website. And there is contact info for the people that manage the cook off.
txdave
Pilgrim

Postby txdave » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:30 pm

I here from several cookers that do that cook off every year.
You will "NOT" make any money at that show. In fact, it can run upwards of 100 grand to do that show.
The livestock show cook off is for bragging rights only. Most if not all have to work year round getting sponsors in order to foot that huge bill.
Better get ready for sticker shock when you find out what all you have to provide.
Bring your wallet and a sponsors checkbook with you.
txdave
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:42 pm

2 year waiting list unless you qualify from another Go Texan cook off and not all Go Texan events offer you the chance. The spots to buy in start at 1500.00 for just the slab. From water to tents has to be purchased through the livestock show. You have to use Houston PD security at parties. They have pretty much all of it figured out lol.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:21 pm

k.a.m. wrote:2 year waiting list unless you qualify from another Go Texan cook off and not all Go Texan events offer you the chance. The spots to buy in start at 1500.00 for just the slab. From water to tents has to be purchased through the livestock show. You have to use Houston PD security at parties. They have pretty much all of it figured out lol.

I have been to the cookoff a few times (not as a cook, but more of a drinker). The sponsorships of the teams is completely different than what you would expect. I have a buddy that is a Dr and he is a sponsor of a team, ALONG with about 40 other small companies that also sponsor. Its basically a circus with a behind the scenes cookoff. I couldnt image the amount of work it must take to actually concentrate on trying to win the cookoff itself, but its definitely an interesting part of competitive BBQ.

rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:22 pm

Back in the late Sixties I always rode on one of the Trailrides into Houston and we always got free Rodeo tickets for some performer (day show) I remember one year they had a big BBQ Cookoff in the Parking lot of the Astrodome and one of the teams had a BBQ Pit that was made from a late Fifties Cadillac - - - - don't know if it cooked quality "Q", but it sure was an eye catcher and dang cool to look at. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
dwilliams35
Pilgrim

Postby dwilliams35 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:44 am

rus_bro wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:2 year waiting list unless you qualify from another Go Texan cook off and not all Go Texan events offer you the chance. The spots to buy in start at 1500.00 for just the slab. From water to tents has to be purchased through the livestock show. You have to use Houston PD security at parties. They have pretty much all of it figured out lol.

I have been to the cookoff a few times (not as a cook, but more of a drinker). The sponsorships of the teams is completely different than what you would expect. I have a buddy that is a Dr and he is a sponsor of a team, ALONG with about 40 other small companies that also sponsor. Its basically a circus with a behind the scenes cookoff. I couldnt image the amount of work it must take to actually concentrate on trying to win the cookoff itself, but its definitely an interesting part of competitive BBQ.

rb
. My wife and I sponsored some booths for several years, it was interesting in that the teams where we sponsored just basically ran a side business selling sponsorships, essentially separate from the actual cook teams. I know the teams went out to other comps without any mention of sponsorships, etc., except for that HLSR "side business". Some have year-round websites selling the sponsorship "packages". We bailed out of the ones we were sponsoring just from them selling those memberships to people and companies that ended up dragging in an element that we simply didn't want to have to deal with, gangbangers showing up, people smoking dope on the dance floor, etc.
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:30 pm

All I can say is if you get in you really need to tighten the rope .. Aint nothing like Rodeo ... Good luck
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”