Cook Off Camp Set up

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

drewlooker USER_AVATAR
Drewlooker
Pilgrim

Cook Off Camp Set up

Postby Drewlooker » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:35 pm

Our team is going into our first comp May 5th-6th, We have two 12x12 pop up with several walls and that about it for shelter, we are throwing around the idea of renting an RV but the location has no power or water so i think we will just put the wives in the hotel until its time to turn in the bloody mary haha! But can some of you guys share with me your camp set up? Pics would be awesome.
Sports, Beer and Q!
Tall Pines Cookers
Treager Timberline 1300
Treager LiL Tex
Big Green Egg XL
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Re: Cook Off Camp Set up

Postby rus_bro » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:39 pm

Drewlooker wrote:Our team is going into our first comp May 5th-6th, We have two 12x12 pop up with several walls and that about it for shelter, we are throwing around the idea of renting an RV but the location has no power or water so i think we will just put the wives in the hotel until its time to turn in the bloody mary haha! But can some of you guys share with me your camp set up? Pics would be awesome.

Same setup as you... 2 tents, 2 tables... not the most luxurious setup, but I didnt have the wife there all night. An RV would make it a much more family friendly event though.

I know im not much help, but GOOD LUCK.. :)

rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:47 pm

What size is your space?

Set up will also be weather-dependent. I can't find my pictures, but below is a brief description on how we set ours up at the last event. It will change for the next.

40x40 square space
Along the back, acting as a border, we had a 40" 5th wheel
The opposite side was bordered by the aisle
Looking down on our site, with the camper being south, and the aisle being north, we had the port-a-can in the southwest corner. My pit (on a trailer) was on the west side
On the east side, we had the larger pit, acting as the east wall

In the center, we had a 10x10 tent with two tables for food prep and work.

Everything else was basically decorative.

We were blessed with outstanding weather, so tents weren't an absolute must.

This year we've doubled our space to 40x80. We'll have a tent over the cookers, and a larger entertainment tent as well. The cookers will be set up at one side of the space, together, rather than separated. Beyond that, we haven't figured out much.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
drewlooker USER_AVATAR
Drewlooker
Pilgrim

Postby Drewlooker » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:50 pm

rus_bro wrote:
Drewlooker wrote:Our team is going into our first comp May 5th-6th, We have two 12x12 pop up with several walls and that about it for shelter, we are throwing around the idea of renting an RV but the location has no power or water so i think we will just put the wives in the hotel until its time to turn in the bloody mary haha! But can some of you guys share with me your camp set up? Pics would be awesome.

Same setup as you... 2 tents, 2 tables... not the most luxurious setup, but I didnt have the wife there all night. An RV would make it a much more family friendly event though.

rb[/quote

What did you guys do for lighting and water? We are going to have to bring a generator, it'll be loud but what do they expect! Also if you slept at all did you bring cots ect...?
Sports, Beer and Q!
Tall Pines Cookers
Treager Timberline 1300
Treager LiL Tex
Big Green Egg XL
drewlooker USER_AVATAR
Drewlooker
Pilgrim

Postby Drewlooker » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:54 pm

TX1911 wrote:What size is your space?

Set up will also be weather-dependent. I can't find my pictures, but below is a brief description on how we set ours up at the last event. It will change for the next.

40x40 square space
Along the back, acting as a border, we had a 40" 5th wheel
The opposite side was bordered by the aisle
Looking down on our site, with the camper being south, and the aisle being north, we had the port-a-can in the southwest corner. My pit (on a trailer) was on the west side
On the east side, we had the larger pit, acting as the east wall

In the center, we had a 10x10 tent with two tables for food prep and work.

Everything else was basically decorative.

We were blessed with outstanding weather, so tents weren't an absolute must.

This year we've doubled our space to 40x80. We'll have a tent over the cookers, and a larger entertainment tent as well. The cookers will be set up at one side of the space, together, rather than separated. Beyond that, we haven't figured out much.

40x40, that sounds like you have it down, im really doubting we are going to bring the RV and just rough it out on the grounds, maybe bring some cots and gravity chairs!
Sports, Beer and Q!
Tall Pines Cookers
Treager Timberline 1300
Treager LiL Tex
Big Green Egg XL
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:03 pm

Two things: 1 - folding cots. 2 - 5 gallon paint pails from Home Despot filled w water to tie pop ups down with. Water weighs 9 pounds a gallon so works pretty well, could also used paint cans filled w Sakcrete and an eye bolt stuck in top.

There is always wind, rain, searing heat,icy cold, or some combination of all four at a cook.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:09 pm

Drewlooker wrote:
rus_bro wrote:

rb[/quote

What did you guys do for lighting and water? We are going to have to bring a generator, it'll be loud but what do they expect! Also if you slept at all did you bring cots ect...?

For water i Brought a 5 gallon bucket and a plastic hotel tray that i filled w/ water and soap to keep on the table to keep dishes and utinsils clean. The sleeping we didnt really think about. I figured id be manning the grill most of the night, so we didnt bring anything. I took a 2 hr nap in a folding chair, one guy slept on the ground (hardcore), another in the back of the truck (we were a little rough setup over there). Iv got a Honda generator which is pretty quiet. I went to harbor freight and picked up a couple work lights. hung one from the top of the tent with the smoker in it. I also have a 2 worklight rig, but didnt need it, as the one was PLENTY. I DID have a light on a headband that i used for brisket trimming, AND a work DropLight that comes in handy when looking around for stuff. Below are a few examples of what i mean.

NEXT TIME... COTS... and im plannign on picking up a shop light like this...
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DCh ... 0AE&adurl=

Drop Light
Work LIght
Double Worklight
rb
drewlooker USER_AVATAR
Drewlooker
Pilgrim

Postby Drewlooker » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:26 pm

rus_bro wrote:
Drewlooker wrote:
rus_bro wrote:

rb[/quote

For water i Brought a 5 gallon bucket and a plastic hotel tray that i filled w/ water and soap to keep on the table to keep dishes and utinsils clean. The sleeping we didnt really think about. I figured id be manning the grill most of the night, so we didnt bring anything. I took a 2 hr nap in a folding chair, one guy slept on the ground (hardcore), another in the back of the truck (we were a little rough setup over there). Iv got a Honda generator which is pretty quiet. I went to harbor freight and picked up a couple work lights. hung one from the top of the tent with the smoker in it. I also have a 2 worklight rig, but didnt need it, as the one was PLENTY. I DID have a light on a headband that i used for brisket trimming, AND a work DropLight that comes in handy when looking around for stuff. Below are a few examples of what i mean.

NEXT TIME... COTS... and im plannign on picking up a shop light like this...
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DCh ... 0AE&adurl=

Drop Light
Work LIght
Double Worklight
rb

Great info! Seems like you guys really roughed it out there, i like the water idea i thought about getting something with a spout but i bucket will probably work just fine.
Sports, Beer and Q!
Tall Pines Cookers
Treager Timberline 1300
Treager LiL Tex
Big Green Egg XL
drewlooker USER_AVATAR
Drewlooker
Pilgrim

Postby Drewlooker » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:27 pm

Boots wrote:Two things: 1 - folding cots. 2 - 5 gallon paint pails from Home Despot filled w water to tie pop ups down with. Water weighs 9 pounds a gallon so works pretty well, could also used paint cans filled w Sakcrete and an eye bolt stuck in top.

There is always wind, rain, searing heat,icy cold, or some combination of all four at a cook.

Didn't even think about holding the tent down in the wind, Great idea! Thank you!
Sports, Beer and Q!
Tall Pines Cookers
Treager Timberline 1300
Treager LiL Tex
Big Green Egg XL
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:31 pm

i SEVERELY overpacked. But i guess its better to have stuff and not need it. NOTE: when packing extension cords, makes sure you have enough 3 prong ones because thats what most lights need.

rb
drewlooker USER_AVATAR
Drewlooker
Pilgrim

Postby Drewlooker » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:33 pm

rus_bro wrote:

rb

I was looking at your latest post i gotta ask, Where did you buy your Brisket?
Sports, Beer and Q!
Tall Pines Cookers
Treager Timberline 1300
Treager LiL Tex
Big Green Egg XL
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:40 pm

Drewlooker wrote:
rus_bro wrote:

rb

I was looking at your latest post i gotta ask, Where did you buy your Brisket?

Costco Prime. I think that one was in the area of 17lbs. Had a great thick flat and a very nice bend.
rb
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:54 pm

We use two 10' x 10' pop ups one with walls for our prep area.
You can see a lot of pics of our set up here.
https://www.facebook.com/Tequila-Sunris ... 950421974/

The arrangement varies depending on where we are cooking. We use three rolling job boxes for all of our competition equipment.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:27 pm

Kevin, I'm piggybacking on your idea. Never thought about linking our FB page for pics of the set up. Thanks brother!

https://www.facebook.com/723-Smokers-1604209766496198/
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:30 pm

TX1911 wrote:Kevin, I'm piggybacking on your idea. Never thought about linking our FB page for pics of the set up. Thanks brother!

https://www.facebook.com/723-Smokers-1604209766496198/

:salut: :salut: :salut: :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”