Competition Pinto Beans

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Jrambo09
Pilgrim

Competition Pinto Beans

Postby Jrambo09 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:57 pm

My friends have a cookoff team, we are fairly young and this is our 3rd season competing and compete in about 5-6 different cook offs annually. I just got a chance at the pinto beans this year at our first cook off and my beans didn’t place top 3. We have another one coming up this weekend and I was wondering if there’s any tips anyone could offer, I would really appreciate that.

My recipe used was letting beans soak in water, fine chopped onion and garlic with seasonings: 1 tbsp Chile powder, 1.5 tbsp kosher salt, 1 tbsp pepper, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, & 1/2 tsp cumin. Soaked overnight and adding more water and finely chopped cooked bacon and slow cooking in crock pot until done. Anything I should take out or add? All ideas welcome! Thank you
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Competition Pinto Beans

Postby Rambo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:55 pm

Whatever seasonings you decide on I can tell you this; my wife makes the best beans and she puts salt, sugar(about 1/4 cup), chili powder, and vegetable oil( about 1/4 cup).

She doesn't add the sugar until they've boiled about an hour and she reduces the heat to simmer. She also adds about 1/2 chopped onion. Adding bacon or ham hock changes the beans to that flavor, she just wants beans to taste like beans.
Jrambo09
Pilgrim

Postby Jrambo09 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:23 pm

Just regular white sugar or brown sugar? And thank you I will try this out!
red farr USER_AVATAR
Red Farr
Wrangler

Postby Red Farr » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:41 pm

...try lard not a veg oil and cumin, savory....color paprika...heat use a pepper roasted de-seeded a red one is best for the color
Red
...Blue Skies and Green Lights...
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:59 pm

Sherry does not use lard
birdsbbq USER_AVATAR
birdsbbq
Pilgrim

Postby birdsbbq » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:35 pm

First of all you're lucky that the comps your go to place top 3. I've yet to go to one in my area that does anything but jackpot. But when you hit.... you hit big.

But my bean recipe is pretty similar. I found that trial and error with ingredients and seasoning quantities in beans is a painful but necessary process. I don't think I've cooked the same recipe twice. I might add a little heat via jalapeno or something of the like. Maybe add a little more bacon to get that fat flavor to pop.

I'd be interest to see other opinions on adding something like Rotel.... I personally love what it brings to a good pot of beans, but worry about the stewiness it may bring. If we get decent responses, I'd try that out too.
Jrambo09
Pilgrim

Postby Jrambo09 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:00 pm

I ended up adding some sugar and less Chili powder and no meat & ended up placing third in pinto beans this past weekend! Thanks for all the replies!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon May 07, 2018 9:05 pm

Jrambo09 wrote:I ended up adding some sugar and less Chili powder and no meat & ended up placing third in pinto beans this past weekend! Thanks for all the replies!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're welcome. You made beans; not beans and meat. Congratulations

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”