Chicken Brine

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

birdsbbq USER_AVATAR
birdsbbq
Pilgrim

Chicken Brine

Postby birdsbbq » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:30 pm

So I've had too much sweetness on some, and too much saltiness on others. Both using different brines. Suggestions for a simple not too sweet/salty brine. I know it's not rocket surgery, but I'm tired of wasting birds. I'm not really picky on brands I've chosen either. I buy HEB or Sanderson usually maybe I'm buying something that is pre-salted. :whiteflag:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Chicken Brine

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:24 pm

I've never brined a bird but I've injected and beer canned many to achieve that juiciness However, I have to do 30 thighs for a Rehearsal Dinner soon and was gonna try brining them BUT now you've got me scared of failing so I may just let them stand on their own as far as moist is concerned. :whiteflag: :dont: :scratch:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
birdsbbq USER_AVATAR
birdsbbq
Pilgrim

Postby birdsbbq » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:08 pm

Yeah... that’s why I need some of the experts opinions!
ucsteve
Pilgrim

Postby ucsteve » Tue May 01, 2018 9:42 am

The basic recipe is 1 cup Kosher salt, 1 Cup sugar (I use brown) to 1 gallon of water, I can't recall ever having one too sweet using this. Table salt instead of kosher will make it saltier, and using broth instead of water will do the same, as will adding additional seasonings. The brand of chicken can make a difference. I would stick with one brand if possible and then adjust according to your tastes.
I usually brine for about 8 hours and it works for what i am trying to accomplish.
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Tue May 01, 2018 10:24 am

I do a 1:1 ratio of salt to sugar. It varies based upon the amount of water needed. But the ratio is the same as ucsteve listed.

I also add 1/4 cup of olive oil for a full gallon of water, adjusted appropriately for different amounts of H2O. I'm not sure why it makes a difference, or what that difference is, but the chicken is better with the olive oil than it is without. :dont:
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue May 01, 2018 10:39 am

It would help if we knew the brine recipes you were not happy with.
A basic brine is 1 cup kosher salt 1/2 cup white or brown sugar to 1 gallon of water.
I brine my birds whole with just the backbone cut out for 12 hours. I prefer birds in the 4.5 to 5 lb. range. Pilgrim Prides are already in a solution so we stay away from them. We use HEB red or the organics.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
birdsbbq USER_AVATAR
birdsbbq
Pilgrim

Postby birdsbbq » Tue May 01, 2018 11:04 am

2 quarts of water
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of BBQ Rub.
32oz of ice cubes

Turned out like candy.

I think k.a.m fixed my salty problem. I used Pilgrim pride for a few comps, and if my memory serves me correctly I used PP birds.
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Tue May 01, 2018 11:05 am

Never done a brine on a bird before but I may have to read up on it and give it a try. :dont:
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Tue May 01, 2018 11:43 am

OldUsedParts wrote:I've never brined a bird but I've injected and beer canned many to achieve that juiciness However, I have to do 30 thighs for a Rehearsal Dinner soon and was gonna try brining them BUT now you've got me scared of failing so I may just let them stand on their own as far as moist is concerned. :whiteflag: :dont: :scratch:

Don't be ascared of brining them thighs, Em.
As stated here I also use the simple brine of 1 cup Kosher Salt to 1 cup brown sugar.
Whether I be doing a whole bird or just pieces they go in this brine. Never yet had any of it come out too salty or too sweet.

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 01, 2018 11:51 am

thanks, Wild Bill, I'll be doing around 35 and "at the last minute" - - I've even thought about injecting but you're awful convincing Pardnah - - - how long would you leave that many in the brine and do you wash them when you remove them from the brine :?: :dont: :salut: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Tue May 01, 2018 12:56 pm

Morton Salt
recommends that we use their coarse Kosher salt to brine with
their basic recipe is:
1-cup salt
1-cup sugar
2-gallons of water
you can change the proportions to fit your needs
Attachments
Salt_Brining.jpg
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Tue May 01, 2018 1:45 pm

CJs post is the recipe I follow Em.
I use just enough water to fully cover a whole bird or pieces.
I use 3 gallon ice cream containers. I Put the salt and brown sugar in the container and start with about a gallon of water. Mix it up good and add you chicken. I add more water as needed to fully cover the meat. So somewhere between 1 to 2 gallons of water.
Doing 35 thighs I'd mix up two containers of brine and put half the thighs in each container.
I'd leave them in the brine a good 4 hours.
Out of the brine rinse them real good under cold water then pat dry. From there I Evoo
them and add my fav seasonings.
A good brine doesn't add over salty or sweet. It just adds moisture and enhances the flavor.

If you got time try a test run on some thighs in your pellet pooper. Practice makes perfect they say. :cheers:

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 01, 2018 1:46 pm

:salut: dat beez whats I gotz in a large ziplock just waiting :tup:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:52 pm

Bed Bath& Beyond also sells brine bags if you want something disposable. Basically it’s a gigantic ziplock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 01, 2018 2:24 pm

Thanks, Sooner, great tip and idea and we/SHE goes there often :tup: :salut:

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”