KCBS pork question

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

KCBS pork question

Postby sparetimetoys » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:15 pm

In September I’m heading to Atlanta to cook with some friends in a competition they have. We have never done competition and it’s mainly to see if we are interested in doing this more often as a group. I’m doing the porkbutts. I’ve watched the videos as to how to prep to get money muscle and use the bone end for chunks. I can’t find any photos of what size chunks are?? I get the slicing medallions from the money end and pulled pork from the center tubes, just chunks has me confused. Any pointers is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: KCBS pork question

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:31 pm

From judging about 40 contests, I see chunks all shapes and sizes. This pork box is probably the most common sized chunks that I see.

KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks for the visual now I understand what I need to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
mbigtoe
Pilgrim

Postby mbigtoe » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:24 am

If you're on Facebook, there is a turn-in box group you can join. You can get some good ideas on how to prepare your boxes there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4920759 ... =bookmarks

It's a closed group, so you will need a Facebook account to join, and then be approved by a group admin.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”