Does your family dread BBQ?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:42 am

Since i started competition I am on a mission to perfect ribs. I cooked ribs every chance i had every other week and sometimes twice a week and of course would ask my wife and 2 kids to taste test. I always cooked my original recipe vs another recipe to get feedback as i tried so many different recipes!! About a year in, family rejected the bbq and told me they were tired of it!! Can you believe that? I can eat it like it’s going out of style but for the fam it is out of style!! Guess there is truth to “Too much of a good thing” ! Go figure!
I’ve had to call in neighbors and friends and cousins to taste test my ribs. Ribs were my focus for awhile. the fam still enjoy brisket and chicken. However I’m now moved on to brisket.

Anyone else going through family bbq rejection because your just q’ing to much on 1 meat in the pursuit of perfection? (It’s my touch of OCD)

Lesson learned: gotta change it up for the fam. Btw they still love ribs just not every week! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by PinoyPitmaster on Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Does your family dread BBQ?

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:51 am

I'm sure my Wiffy thinks I BBQ too much but I like to eat it as well as create it, however, I rarely do large meats - - - most of mine is wings, steaks, ABTs and seafood with an occasional rack or two of Ribs, a beer can bird and maybe a Pork Butt which she likes very much. She also prefers her Oink Bonz to be "fall off the bone" and I don't really like them that tender but I'll do about every other Rib Q to her specs - - - she also like Beer Can Chicken and Turkey - - - bottomline is "we get by" :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:48 am

My wife gets tired of it. But I try to vary what I cook, so it's not just the same thing with different tweaks. Or, if I'm cooking something a lot, I always make sure to add something different for her and my oldest girl.

My son, on the other hand, not only wants to eat it all, he wants to help!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:26 am

chip off of the ol stump :salut: :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
allenayres USER_AVATAR
allenayres
Rustler

Postby allenayres » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:16 am

I don't cook that often but I can tell when they are getting tired of it by what's left on their plates :laughing7: At that point I bring it to work or to friends' homes.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:40 pm

My first wife remarried and he comp cooked. When the kids came for the weekend the only thing they refused to eat was BBQ. Step-dad was working out chicken and ribs. They ate chicken every night for a week and ribs the next week. They were Q'd out for a couple months.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:02 pm

I definitely don't do it that much, I like to keep a " rotation " of variety just for that reason. Nothing worse than taking the time to make something and it doesn't go over too well.
But, when the times arise, we make sure to clean the plates...
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:04 pm

My wife and kids will not enter any BBQ place with me :( , Also all the comp leftovers are always taken to neighbors and friends.Only time they will eat BBQ now are fresh baby back ribs or tacos from brisket or pulled pork.I feel your pain, brutha.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:58 pm

GTR wrote:My first wife remarried and he comp cooked. When the kids came for the weekend the only thing they refused to eat was BBQ. Step-dad was working out chicken and ribs. They ate chicken every night for a week and ribs the next week. They were Q'd out for a couple months.

LOL Yeah i know this! i lived it!! I glad I’m not alone! :)
Pursuit is BBQ perfection can be lonely.

scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:25 am

I only do one cook off per year, so my practice is limited to the month or so leading up to it. It's a good sized event with 110+ teams annually. I am pretty set with my rubs, methods,etc, so the majority of my experiments is the open category. I do offer to cook briskets for friends as practice. With everyone getting together in my neighbor's garage for football every Sunday, I have a nice tasting panel for my experiments.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:01 am

used to Q a lot more when the cheap cuts for Q'in were actually cheap...
brisket and butts were less than $3/lb back then
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:33 pm

dub' wrote:used to Q a lot more when the cheap cuts for Q'in were actually cheap...
brisket and butts were less than $3/lb back then

Ain’t that the truth! I buy the box of briskets now at Costco to try to save money on prime.

alex USER_AVATAR
alex
Pilgrim

Postby alex » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:28 am

#OldUsedParts, "Good BBQ Comes From Experience, and Experience, Well, That Comes From Bad BBQ " Really great feel as a culinary artistry. I've lot's of bad experience my culinary life that makes me a great professional BBQ Guys.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:09 am

:salut:
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:12 pm

This is a funny topic. Since smoking and curing as much meat as I do, my family will only allow me 1/month to smoke and I have to walk out the front door to go around the back to check on the Q. It almost makes Qing not fun any more seriously. Or I’d be smoking 3/week.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”