IBCA Rule Question

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bearicade
Pilgrim

IBCA Rule Question

Postby bearicade » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:56 am

Hello Everybody,

I am new to the forum and about to compete in my first IBCA BBQ Competition in October at the Keller Lions Cook off. I had a question on the rules about BBQ pits, it states in the rules that "Pit should be of a permanent design that contains separate individual cooking chambers and heat sources (no sharing of heat sources)" . I plan to use my offset smoker to cook the Ribs, Brisket, and Chicken along with my Weber Kettle for the sides and whatnot but I am a bit confused on what they mean by it must not share heat sources. Would anyone be able to clarify on what they mean by this?

Thanks so much
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: IBCA Rule Question

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:16 pm

No sharing of heat sources refers to chief cooks/teams sharing a cooker. You as a chief cook can use as many cookers as you like as long as they burn a wood substance and are not "fueled by gas or electricity and as long as you do not share your heat source with another team.
I am an IBCA head judge as well as an IBCA regional director. If you have any other questions feel free to reach out to me.
Kevin Miller
409-673-3884
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bearicade
Pilgrim

Postby bearicade » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks so much for the information that was very helpful!
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:46 pm

I don't want to hi-jack this thread BUT I'm going to bring up something that I still don't understand. if the IBCA rule states "are not "fueled by gas or electricity " Why does the IBCA allow pellet smokers into competitions? the pellets are ignited by an electric source? or is this where the word "fueled" comes into play? electricity is only used to start the pellets? however electricity is used to push-auger the pellets to keep them lit. :scratch: :dont:
woody wood USER_AVATAR
Woody Wood
Bandolero

Postby Woody Wood » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:25 am

:deadhorse:
El Rey Smokers
Traeger
Big Green Egg
MeatChurch BBQ
Oakridge BBQ
Backwoods Spirits

3 Woody's BBQ
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:05 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:I don't want to hi-jack this thread BUT I'm going to bring up something that I still don't understand. if the IBCA rule states "are not "fueled by gas or electricity " Why does the IBCA allow pellet smokers into competitions? the pellets are ignited by an electric source? or is this where the word "fueled" comes into play? electricity is only used to start the pellets? however electricity is used to push-auger the pellets to keep them lit. :scratch: :dont:

The pellets are ignited with an electric element. Once they are lit the element goes off. The electricity after that runs the auger that feeds the pellets. This is no different than lighting your offset with a weed burner. As for the auger running on electricity we also allow rotisserie cookers which require electricity to turn the grates but they cannot use propane for the cooking and we allow Guru fan temp controllers.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:47 pm

The real truth why they let pellet cookers in
My opinion is so they can get sponsorships! $$$$$$$

Lucky no one cares about my opinion. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:22 am

PinoyPitmaster wrote:The real truth why they let pellet cookers in
My opinion is so they can get sponsorships! $$$$$$$

Lucky no one cares about my opinion. :)

IBCA does not have any cooker manufacturers as sponsors. Not that we would not welcome one but we do not have any as of now. We do have B&B Charcoal as a sponsor company their logo is on our website.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:58 am

I saw that!! I love B&B charcoal

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”