Anybody Competing at Houston Rodeo?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Anybody Competing at Houston Rodeo?

Postby Rambo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:56 pm

Just wondering if any of our Members are cooking at Houston this year.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Anybody Competing at Houston Rodeo?

Postby GRailsback » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:48 pm

I'll be there, and my pit wil be there. I do not do the cooking, thats a young mans game down there. And I will be in the motorhome lot as well for the weekend.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:49 pm

GRailsback wrote:I'll be there, and my pit wil be there. I do not do the cooking, thats a young mans game down there. And I will be in the motorhome lot as well for the weekend.

That sounds like fun
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:53 pm

I cooked that deal for years, found out it is much easier to write checks and sponsor a pit. But it is also a party like no other when it comes to BBQ.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:40 am

Sounds like fun. We had an Almost Son-In-Law whose family had cooked in the thing for years; they had hired a guy who had a big rig plus some other smaller smokers outside . Dude had 4 or 5 people with him. They had their own big white tent with tables and chairs, looked like fun if you didn't have to do all the work
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:09 am

Its a lot of work. The team that I am closest to down there cooks there BBQ fresh daily. But a lot of the big teams pre-cook a considerable amount of meat and just reheat it. I haven't missed one in 30 years or so. Seen a lot of changes over the years. Pit move in is this Saturday. And it is kind of neat to see it all come together. You will see all these pits sitting on the parking lot down there this weekend. Then over the course of the following week a big tent city pops up, with with store fronts and all kinds of different fencing and most anything you could imagine.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:14 am

My wife says I'm an Old Fuddy Duddy; I have no desire to be around all those people, noise, and congestion and I'm ONLY 63. Now, if I was younger, and chasing something to put on MY pit, I'd be right in the middle of it
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:25 am

Rambo if I didn't have the connections that I have down there I am not sure I would remain as involved as I am. Fortunately I stay in the RV lot down there, which provides a shuttle service directly inside of the cookoff. And also the HLSR has very little regard for tradition when it comes to that cookoff, so therefore it is largely commercial. But it wasn't always that way. The weather isn't looking to good, so that will affect the numbers down there. Back when I was still cooking down there, my dad would come over from Canyon Lake and help me out, I miss those days. And he passed away before I had my pit built, and I regret that as well.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:06 am

Back in my Cowboy Daze we used to go as spectators every year but that was when it was in the Parking Lot of the Dome and even before the Abercrombie Arena was built. - - - one year there was a Team there that had built a Pit from a 1959 Caddy and it was Awesome :tup: :salut: Dang, I've got more mileage than my ECB Loyalty. :laughing7: :lol: :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:48 am

You see alot of unique and unusual pits of all shapes and sizes. I think my favorite is still the airplane that was built for Continental Airlines, which is now United.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:59 pm

Topping off the water, just have to bring the sides down and give them a quick scrub and she will be officially ready to go to Houston tomorrow.

IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:43 pm

She's ready to go.

IMG_3993.jpg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:48 pm

ABOVE and BEYOND, Sir G-Rails - - - - I hope the Recipients appreciate all your effort :tup: :salut: :wav:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:02 am

I love that Pit!!

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:47 am

OldUsedParts wrote:ABOVE and BEYOND, Sir G-Rails - - - - I hope the Recipients appreciate all your effort :tup: :salut: :wav:

Thanks Parts, I think they appreciate it. I bought it to have fun with. It wouldn't be as much fun if I just let it sit at the house and only used it when I wanted to cook for just the 2 of us. This pit is good at throwing big parties, of which I am a big fan of. But I am also very selective of who gets to use it.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”