Foundation Cookoff

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Foundation Cookoff

Postby GRailsback » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:25 pm

My sister in law started a foundation in her sons name who was killed in the line of duty in Chambers County. So she started a cookoff and car show last year, this weekend was the 2nd annual. She sells BBQ plates and has a silent auction and gun raffle. I cook all the meat for the plate sales. And I also enter the cookoff since I am already there anyway. I cooked 18 briskets, a 100 pounds of leg quarters, and 60 pounds of sausage. All the leftover meat was auctioned off.

An old SS Chevelle one the car show, and I was able to manage a 1st in chicken and 2nd in brisket. The rain held off and it waas a fun weekend. There were only 12 teams this year, but hopefully it will grow and get bigger. The brisket was 1836 and SPG. And the chicken was Hog Waller Honey, 1836, and a little bit of Adkins mequite fajita seasoning, with a sucklebusters chipolte glaze.

IMG_4123.JPG

IMG_4124.JPG

IMG_4125 (1).JPG

IMG_4117.jpg
Here is some of the first briskets going on
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: Foundation Cookoff

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:35 pm

First off, GOOD on your sister in law for doing what she is doing. Secondly, but in no way a back seat to anyone or anything, I would like to say I'm sorry for the loss of this young hero and give my sincere thanks for his service and protecting every one of us. Losing a loved one is so hard, a service woman or man is even harder ...
As for you, you are doing a great thing man !!
Shows how selfless you are so you sir deserve big props and a huge congrats on your placement !!

If ever I make it to " warmer climateville " I'd love to see one of these venues !!
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Thanks Woody, She also does a golf tournament every year for another fundraiser. I don't have much to offer on the golf deal, but the cookoff fundraiser I have lots to offer, so that is what I do. She sells 3 meat BBQ plates for 10.00 and it is all quality gorceries.

The deal was very hard on my brother and his wife and our families in general.

Here is a link to the Foundation if you care to read more about it.

http://shanedetwilerfoundation.org/
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:00 pm

Ur welcome and yes, of course ill check it out so thank you for sharing this.
Yeah, I can imagine it being really hard, lost a brother and father myself so I definitely get it.
What you all gotta do is try to always remember the good times as hard as it sounds. The good memories/laughs will always triumph over the hardship, it just takes years and years and family and friend support ya know .
Took me a long time to figure this out, but once I did it makes it just a tiny bit easier .

Once again, you guys are doing a knockout job !
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Wow, what a honorable life he lived !!

I know you guys must be so proud of him, I don't even know him and in my eyes he is THE MAN !!

R.I.P dude, you have lots of people thinking of you !
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Wow. That is a touching story. Shane was a man to be proud of and he obviusly served his country in a great way but ending up with the biggest sacrifice. I feel so sorry for you and your family.

It's great to see the effort your sister in law and you put in this to honor the way he served.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:13 pm

Very nice to see your sister using what was undoubtably a horrible event in all of your families life into a positive.

Best of luck in the growth of the foundation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Great Folks doing Great Things :tup: :salut: :cheers: :texas: :flag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks woody, sooner, Mr. joe. As is always the case in law enforcement killings. They are senseless. And this one was at the very top of being senseless. It has been almost 10 years now, and i am proud of my brother for getting through it and kept his marriage in tact. The cookoff is a fun occasion, and it gets great support from the law enforcement community. They circle the wagons in unprecedented ways.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:04 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Great Folks doing Great Things :tup: :salut: :cheers: :texas: :flag:

Parts, it was a good weekend, we held it at the Baytown fairgrounds. They donated the facilities, and they donated the food permit to sell the food as well. They did come and inspect my trailer but i suspect it was a mere formality.
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:01 am

Awesome event, that’s a lot of meat to cook. Congrats on your places too :salut:
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:06 am

Excellent event for such an important cause. Well done GRail and kudos for your family for the event.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:19 pm

Thanks 2guys and EH. We try to make it fun and do good things at the same time. It is also, other than holidays, that I get to spend a full day with my 2 older brothers, and I appreciate that as well. I am the BBQ guy in the family, and happy to make it all happen for my brother and sister in law.
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:59 pm

Sounds like a great cookoff for a good cause. Congrats on the calls and your cooking for the fundraiser. May try to make it out next year. Hats off to ya. :salut:
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:20 pm

Thanks Limey, I will post the dates plenty in advance next year, I was just concerned about not giving the impression that I was trying to solicit anything so I never mentioned much about it. The only person I have really discussed it with is KAM. And that is because I am trying to nudge her into getting it sanctioned to possibly grow it. And in the course of a 30 minute phone conversation he was a wealth of knowledge, and I thank him for that as well.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”