New forum member and new smoker build. A few questions?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Ken226
Pilgrim

Re: New forum member and new smoker build. A few questions?

Postby Ken226 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:41 am

KAM:

Thanks for the advise. Ill try each of those suggestions as soon as i get back home. Im out of town currently due to work.

With my intakes set to give me about 275° on the top grate, and 225° on the lower grates, my reverse flow plate measures about 350° on the firebox side and about 340° on the opposite end. What do you think should be ideal?

What are your thoughts on the chimney? Currently it only extends into the cook chamber about 3.75 inches. I beleive it may be drawing the hottest smoke from the top of the cook chamber, not allowing the hotter smoker to fill the cook chamber from the top down.

Since my temps are very even left to right, but uneven top to bottom, i suspect that as the hot smoke fills the cook chamber, floating up to the top, in then exits into the chimney and is evacuated.
Basically, creating a river of fresh hot smoke that flows from the reverse flow chamber, up to the top of the cook chamber, then across to the chimney exit, allowing cooler smoke to remain in the lower portion of the cook chamber with only radiant energy from the reverse flow plate to heat it.

I was thinking that extending the chimney down to near the lower grate would allow the chimney to draw the cooler smoke from the bottom. The hot smoke at the top of the chamber wouldnt have anywhere to go and would contunue to fill the cook chamber, pushing the cooler smoke lower untill it enters the chimney, at grate level. Im hoping that will even out the temperature?

Everything works fine except the temperature difference between the upper and lower grates.
k.a.m.
Outlaw

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:43 pm

It would be easy enough to test the exhaust theory. You could build a box to slip fit over your current box. Drill a 7/16" hole on the upper edge and tack a 3/8" nut to it then use a 3/8" bolt to lock down the exhaust.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Ken226
Pilgrim

Postby Ken226 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:21 pm

Thats what i was thinking as well. Something temporary to test before doing alot of fabrication.

The location of the chimney relative to the upper grate and its associated slider/rail makes ot a challenge. Im sure i can find a way though.
k.a.m.
Outlaw

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Ken226 wrote:Thats what i was thinking as well. Something temporary to test before doing alot of fabrication.

The location of the chimney relative to the upper grate and its associated slider/rail makes ot a challenge. Im sure i can find a way though.

Remove the upper grate and use a piece of expanded metal with temporary legs to mimic grate height to place your therm probes on. This way you can lower the exhaust without cutting anything loose. If the upper rail is in the way offset the extension to miss it.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Ken226
Pilgrim

Postby Ken226 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:48 pm

Yes sir, That is what I'm going to do. I'm still stuck in El Paso for a couple weeks for work, but ill be testing this theory asap.

Thank you for the help, it is greatly appreciated!
k.a.m.
Outlaw

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:19 pm

You are very welcome Sir.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”