Welder fabricator building first smoker many questions

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Fabkid33
Pilgrim

Welder fabricator building first smoker many questions

Postby Fabkid33 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:14 pm

Hello this is going to be my first smoker build
I went through the felden calculator and the fire box Is about perfect size for the smoker I'm building. Tubing is 24 inch diameter with 3/8 wall thickness the fire box is 32 inches long and both horizontal and vertical tubes are 50" long questions I have are I was thinking of building a door I can raise and lower in the vertical part to adjust airflow in smoker also I was thinking I could close the vertical part off and only use the horizontal section when smoking smaller things with a separate stack ? ANY other tips or advice would be great . I want to start welding it together very soon !!!!
Attachments
20191106_155308.jpg
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Welder fabricator building first smoker many questions

Postby Rambo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:22 pm

You need to Private message member KAM; he's the best. good Luck; looks like you've got it together.
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:42 pm

Welcome to the Forum and I agree with Rambo about PM'n KAM - - - - he's the Boss Hoss here on Pit Building "Correctly" :salut:
"Good BBQ Comes From Experience, and Experience, Well, That Comes From Bad BBQ "
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:22 am

Fabkid33 wrote:Hello this is going to be my first smoker build
I went through the felden calculator and the fire box Is about perfect size for the smoker I'm building. Tubing is 24 inch diameter with 3/8 wall thickness the fire box is 32 inches long and both horizontal and vertical tubes are 50" long questions I have are I was thinking of building a door I can raise and lower in the vertical part to adjust airflow in smoker also I was thinking I could close the vertical part off and only use the horizontal section when smoking smaller things with a separate stack ? ANY other tips or advice would be great . I want to start welding it together very soon !!!!

Gonna be a great build I look forward to following it. :D
The door between the vertical and the horizontal is a good one in my opinion. I would however look at it as a way to shut down the vertical as mentioned and not used to regulate temps.
When open look at the vertical as your exhaust if you trim the flow with the door it will cause the horizontal to stall creating cooler smoke that cannot move out. Trying to balance the two will be nearly impossible because getting the vertical to decent smoking temps will have the horizontal running probably 50° to 75° hotter. Just a heads up for when you start running it and are scratching your head trying to figure it out. Concentrate on the horizontal and then see where that leaves you for your vertical temps.
You will only need about a 12" tall exhaust on the vertical and I would shoot for at least 8" in diameter.
Your secondary exhaust for the horizontal can be recommended height and I would run at least 6" diameter.
I will find some pics of my tuning plates for you. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”