Welder fabricator building first smoker many questions

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Steveo
Pilgrim

Re: Welder fabricator building first smoker many questions

Postby Steveo » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:44 pm

I’m thinking about building a backyard bbq pit that would have a smoker and a firebox in it. Don’t want it to be to heavy that I can’t move I myself .. I need to find a pipe that would work to build and I could get the plat to build my firebox and vertical smoker .. where should I look for pipe
Steveo
Pilgrim

Postby Steveo » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:46 pm

I’m thinking about building a backyard bbq pit that would have a smoker and a firebox in it. Don’t want it to be to heavy that I can’t move I myself .. I need to find a pipe that would work to build and I could get the plat to build my firebox and vertical smoker .. where should I look for pipe
GTR
Cowboy

Postby GTR » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:06 pm

Propane tank, compressor tank.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Fabkid33
Pilgrim

Postby Fabkid33 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:07 pm

Temp problems . I have some cheap external guages that I think are causing some issues everything seems a little dry or a little chewy that I cook . I hooked up a digital thermometer and my guages are about 50 degrees off using a temp probe on a srand on top of a ham if I put the temp probe at grate level on a stand then the temps are about 100 degrees off from the external guages and which temp do I believe? Also is it always going to read hotter at the grate level with a temp probe because its touching the grate with the stand that holds the probe ?
hogaboomer
Rustler

Postby hogaboomer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:11 pm

I had the same thing happen. We started out using a Tel Tru in the door and everything was getting burnt up and dried out. Got a digital to see and the Tel Tru was about 50 degrees lower than probe on the grill. I only use digital now. I don't think touching the grate matters, it can't get hotter than the actual temperature inside the smoker.
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:25 pm

I rely heavily on my digital therms but I also know what my grates are running at with my door therms by knowing the difference in the two. I can look at my door therms and know what my grates are running at without seeing my digital.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Fabkid33
Pilgrim

Postby Fabkid33 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:11 pm

What door guages do you recommend ?

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”