The great smoker design debate

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Rambo
Deputy

Re: The great smoker design debate

Postby Rambo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:40 am

That is unique
rms827
Cowboy

Re: The great smoker design debate

Postby rms827 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:27 am

PinoyPitmaster wrote:What do you guys think about a smoker with a separate firebox directly beneath (vs offset) the cook chamber with baffles and tuning plates? It would seem this would allow me to use entire grill space vs an offset

Seems like it should work in theory. That's how pellet smokers work. Some of the more expensive ones have baffles and tuning plates also so that they can sear, etc... The only issue I could see (keeping in mind that I'm hardly an expert on stick burners) is keeping temps low enough for slow cooking. The fire pot on pellet burners is pretty small, even on a big unit like my Rec-Tec 680.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
PinoyPitmaster
Rustler

The great smoker design debate

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:20 am

rms827 wrote:[quote="PinoyPitmaster"]What do you guys think about a smoker with a separate firebox directly beneath (vs offset) the cook chamber with baffles and tuning plates? It would seem this would allow me to use entire grill space vs an offset

Seems like it should work in theory. That's how pellet smokers work. Some of the more expensive ones have baffles and tuning plates also so that they can sear, etc... The only issue I could see (keeping in mind that I'm hardly an expert on stick burners) is keeping temps low enough for slow cooking. The fire pot on pellet burners is pretty small, even on a big unit like my Rec-Tec 680.[/quote]

As of July 24,2018, I now know it works as I built it. Underneath firebox is less footprint but negative as it may raise your height to grilltop. I’m not saying it is better but it is better for me. Look at 2guysbbq above. if that firebox was traditional offset it probably wouldn’t fit on his patio! Imagine moving hexagon backend and move to side! That would be 1 long pit!

I am not a professional welder or pitmaker but After building my pit and probably over 200 man hrs of cutting and welding i feel the reason for tradition and why all these pitmakers make an offset cylinder style pit is time to build

I’m only one opinion but I believe the offset cylinder is the cheapest, easiest and quickest build not necessarily the best design.

With a pro welder/ fabricator they can probably churn out 2-3 a day.

I’m sure it can get more complicated and this is not meant as a slight for offset lovers as i once loved these and currently have one too(!on Craigslist now) but there are better designs for bbq pits in my opinion.

Tell your friend that respecting tradition but questioning tradition is how America was built and how things are made better. I asked the same type questions and why I moved away from the traditional offset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”