how do you insulate a fire box?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bbq wrench
Pilgrim

how do you insulate a fire box?

Postby bbq wrench » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:59 pm

I want to build a new pit and I am interested in trying to insulate the fire box, but I have no idea how to do this or if it is even worth trying. Any help would be appreciated.
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Re: how do you insulate a fire box?

Postby Bluz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:05 pm

yes it is well worth it, you will consume less wood to maintain the same temps, as well as you can stand next to the firbox in summer without it just being unbearable. I did mine very inexpensively, by making an internal four sided box, three sides and top, using the air to insulate, not insulating the bottom. It works very well and think you will be quite happy with the addition.
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM
speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

Postby Speed » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:23 am

There are a number of differnet things to use for the insulation. I have heard of everything from fire brick to sand being used.
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Smoke-Kings-Ba ... 621281240/
email us at smokekingsbarbecue@gmail.com

"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"
wBuddy
Pilgrim

Postby wBuddy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:41 am

Bluz wrote:yes it is well worth it, you will consume less wood to maintain the same temps, as well as you can stand next to the firbox in summer without it just being unbearable. I did mine very inexpensively, by making an internal four sided box, three sides and top, using the air to insulate, not insulating the bottom. It works very well and think you will be quite happy with the addition.

Hi, why does the bottom of the firebox isnt insulated?, i see all people that DIY insulated firebox didnt insulate the bottom
Mainelytxs
Pilgrim

Postby Mainelytxs » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:09 pm

Hey bbq wrench. I'm guessing the bottom isnt insulated because heat rises and a large majority of heat loss is up and out. I have a thread going on my build of a 500g pit and I'm debating the same issue, to insulate or not. I live in Maine and I enjoy smoking year round so I'm thinking it's a pretty smart idea for me. Good luck and let's see some pics!
:salut: :texas:

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”