Stump's Clone 2.0

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

MWells
Pilgrim

Stump's Clone 2.0

Postby MWells » Sat May 07, 2011 11:39 am

This is the progress on my new build.
Well, I got the frame done last Sunday, but forgot the camera. Today I got the ashbox/chute mounted on the frame and the wheels mounted. The wheels are nice, its rolls very easily. I got the foam filled tires. But the rubber does have some flex. Its not like it feels like it is going to topple over, but its definitely not rock solid. I think I am going to fab up some drop down feet so that it is more stable when sitting on the porch. When I need to move it, just pull up the feet an take off. We will see how that goes. Next I have to get the transfer tube mounted and then start skinning. Next weekend, dont think my wife will be very happy if I spend Mother's day at the shop.
RonH
Rustler

Re: Stump's Clone 2.0

Postby RonH » Sun May 08, 2011 7:56 am

looking good, you building it from memory or find some plans somewhere? looks like it would be a fun project
MWells
Pilgrim

Postby MWells » Sun May 08, 2011 8:03 am

There is another forum that is full of guys that have done these builds. Not sure how the mods feel about giving links to other sites, so if you want it pm me.

They dont have plans specifically, but it is pretty easy to design once you have the general idea of what is needed. The last one I built would cook a little over an hour per pound of fuel. And once I got it set it wouldn't wander more than a few degrees. I later got a BBQ guru, and that thing would keep it locked right where I wanted it.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon May 09, 2011 9:53 am

MWells wrote:There is another forum that is full of guys that have done these builds. Not sure how the mods feel about giving links to other sites, so if you want it pm me.

Thanks :D We love it when folks exercise good judgement. 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
MWells
Pilgrim

Postby MWells » Mon May 09, 2011 11:54 am

No problem. Just trying to be a good citizen.

I always find it interesting that folks feel that they have some inherent right to act however they want. No matter where we go, there are rules. Life would be much better if people tried to work together and coexist rather than try and prove their manhood. Something about measuring certain anatomy.

This is a great site. Just trying to do my part to keep it that way.
MWells
Pilgrim

Postby MWells » Sat May 14, 2011 9:04 pm

New pics and progress. We got the inside skins cut, broke and welded in. We decided to build it in separate pieces, but with a flap bent over at each corner so that we could screw each piece together. That saved a lot of time welding the seams. We welded some, especially in the floor, but mostly we used sheet metal screws.

In the floor, we broke a V in the bottom. We also sloped the floor from the firebox end to the opposite side. I'll take better pics next time.

We also got the transfer tube welded in. I went with a 4 inch round, instead of the 5 inch. I couldn't get any 3x5, and there shouldn't be much difference in the two. Ordering insulation and gaskets tonight. Hopefully it will be in by the weekend, and I can get the outside skins on.

limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Sat May 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Gonna be a nice one, nice metal work.
Can't wait to see some more work in progress pics.
Thanks for sharing
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
MWells
Pilgrim

Postby MWells » Sun May 15, 2011 10:46 am

looking at that picture I see my buddies head spinning "how the heck you gonna get coal in that chute?" I'll work on that one later.
scootr14
Pilgrim

Postby scootr14 » Tue May 17, 2011 3:25 pm

LOL, dang I can't beat you to a BBQ site can I.
MWells
Pilgrim

Postby MWells » Wed May 18, 2011 8:45 am

Haha, I was just thinking that when I saw you had replied.
MWells
Pilgrim

Postby MWells » Wed May 18, 2011 8:46 am

Scooter, where is your build thread here? Don't hold out on these guys. They deserve to see your great work too.

BTW, I'm still pulling for you on the powder coat. Hope it works out this time.
scootr14
Pilgrim

Postby scootr14 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:24 pm

Lol. Thanks, I just haven't gotten the time to post it on here, was wanting to wait till it got powder-coated, plus I didn't want to take any away from your build. By the way, I can't believe your building your second clone. Heck this first one is hard enough on me.
MWells
Pilgrim

Postby MWells » Wed May 18, 2011 8:13 pm

Yeah, my wife said the same thing. But as soon as we got it home, I had ideas on things I wished I had done different. Bigger chute, more shelves, steel outer skin instead on aluminum, better wheels, door swing the other way, ash door on the front. I could have tore down the one I had, but where's the fun in that?
MWells
Pilgrim

Postby MWells » Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Good day yesterday. I went Thursday and picked up the insulation. Yesterday we got the outer skins cut, insulation put in and the skins hung. We ran out of welding wire, so the skins are held in place for now with screws. I am going to weld all the seams so that it is water tight. We were able to break it on two corners so we just have two corner seams and the top to weld. Coming along nice. I wish I could just go work on it for a couple days, I think I could get it done.

This pic is the cooker up on the lift so we could weld on the bottom. Much easier than flipping it over.

Here is the side.

And the front.

Heating up some left over pulled pork for tostadas, just for inspiration.
TXCajun
Wrangler

Postby TXCajun » Thu May 26, 2011 9:52 am

Shaping up nicely, but the design has be baffled. I don't see a firebox, but I see a huge smokestack not connected to the cooking chamber and a small pipe coming in at the bottom. Enlighten me.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”