1000 gallon tank smoker!

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

1000 gallon tank smoker!

Postby bobbergone » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:28 am

In the beginning there was an idea.
ImageImageImage

Let's get started on a tandem axle smoke pit. Any ideas are welcome and appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkNew to the forum scene. But I got this far with no help.

I am starting a huge project and looking for any help I can get.
I run the weld shop a Washington Family Ranch. A Younglife camp. I have set sail on building a BBQ trailer that will feed up to 400 kids with an occasional 800 guest event. I have acquired a 1000 gal propane tank and a set of axles. This will be from the ground up pit.

Plans, pictures, suggestions, ideas, all welcome. I want to get this done right. I have built other small smokers, and even a tar kettle for road maintenance. So the idea of making my own burners and trailer lay out. Is not the hard part. I want the fire box and the tank and the shelving to work to its best ability.

Am I barking up the right tree, thanks for any help that you may have.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: 1000 gallon tank smoker!

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:59 pm

Nice shop. :D
Are those 3500 lb axles?
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Toontroller
Bandolero

Postby Toontroller » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:51 pm

I know those ideas.

They take shape

Then tend to grow

Out of control

Go ahead and buy some 7K axles, I promise it's easier than sliding them under later. Don't ask how I know this. but I do have pictures :lol:
bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

Postby bobbergone » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:10 pm

K.a.m. They are out of a burned RV trailer. 1 3/4" solid . I am putting 3500# springs under. I will only be using 10 feet of the 1000 gal tank. It's nice because it is 41" diameter.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkNew to the forum scene. But I got this far with no help.

I run the weld shop a Washington Family Ranch. A Younglife camp. I have set sail on building a BBQ trailer that will feed up to 400 kids with an occasional 800 guest event. I have acquired a 1000 gal propane tank and a set of axles. This will be from the ground up pit.

Plans, pictures, suggestions, ideas, all welcome. I want to get this done right. I have built other small smokers, and even a tar kettle for road maintenance. So the idea of making my own burners and trailer lay out. Is not the hard part. I want the fire box and the tank and the shelving to work to its best ability.

riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:21 am

That is one nice set up Toon! well done.
Toontroller
Bandolero

Postby Toontroller » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:07 pm

Thank you riseabove50.

bobbergone, I got called out of the office so here is the rest of the post I intended.

Here are some ideas I like about mine and would do over.
I put intakes on every side, this allows me to utilize any wind direction without turning the trailer. Especially good on humid days when it is tuff getting a clean fire burning.

The top plate on the firebox is 9/16" plate, very good as a flat top griddle or heating large pots.

The floor plate for the reverse flow cooker is 3/8" if your thinking of double duty I can pour 40lbs of charcoal in each bay for grilling.

The large box/warmer is 36" x 48" x 60", great for heating hot sides and hot holding meat.

My biggest complaint is I cut the firebox door into the end of the firebox leaving a lip on the bottom for the intakes. When it is time to redo the firebox when the door opens it will open the entire end so the ash can be pulled out and not shoveled out like it has to be now.
bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

1000 gallon tank smoker!

Postby bobbergone » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:12 pm

I am going with an automated propane burner system. 300,000 -500,000 btu capability. Thus I am doing a dual wall insulated firebox. My fir box is 2dx4wx2t, my warming oven sits on to of it, 2dx4wx4t. I am only using 10 feet of the 1000 gallon tank, this will keep my weight down quite a bit.
Last edited by bobbergone on Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

Postby bobbergone » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:47 am

We are not off to a good start. Axles too old to find parts for. Going to have to go with new ones.

On a good note. I cut the tank and it has 3/8" wall. This should give good even heat retention.

bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

Postby bobbergone » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:04 pm

ImageImage

Burn out

bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

Postby bobbergone » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:27 am

Doors are weighing out at 160 lbs. any ideas on counter balance weights and design. 6"round or square?

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:53 am

I prefer mechanical weights over fixed weights when I use them. I usually shoot for about 1/3 the weight of the door they are assists so if you go too heavy they will be as hard to close as they are to open. What are the cuts on your door did you go below 12:00 on your top cut?

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

Postby bobbergone » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:34 pm

12:00 top cut, 2" below center on bottom cut. 41" diameter tank. Doors came out 44 wide and 35 tall.

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:01 pm

Can you reach them when they are open? That is a tall door.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

Postby bobbergone » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:44 pm

My goal is that they are only slightly above horizontal once open. Thinking if I under sling my springs this may assist in keeping overall height lower. This is yet to be seen. If I can keep them slightly above horizontal, I would like to see door handle at about 5'8" -6'0

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:19 am

So you are going to rely on your counter weights to hold the doors open? Will you have safety latches on them?

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”