Smoker placed above the grill

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

marvin.l.ruffin
Pilgrim

Smoker placed above the grill

Postby marvin.l.ruffin » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:11 pm

Hey everyone,

I am shortly going to build my first pit/smoker. I am working on the design, but i have a few questions for all of you "old pros."

I am going to use a 250 gallon tank mounted on a trailer. I am going to place doors on both sides for charcoal and wood. That will give me indirect heat that is pretty flexible. What i am not sure about is the placement of the smoker. Because I want have access to both sides of the grill, I don't want to place the smoker on the side. My idea is to place it on top of the grill, floating just above the tank with exhast running from the tank, into the smoker and then out.

1. Will I get enough heat?
2. What can I use to regulate it independently (ex. Grill needs to hotter, but smoker is too hot)
3. Will I have any air flow problems? Is there anything i can do about it?

If anyone can answer any of the above questions I'd really appreciate it. This is my first rodeo so any advice more experienced builders can give me is a big help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Smoker placed above the grill

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:32 am

If I am understanding you correctly you will turn the 250 gall into a large grill and have a chamber attached to the top to act as an exhaust/smoke chamber? If so then yes that should work as long as you allow enough air flow into the upper chamber.
How big of an upper chamber are you thinking of?
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
marvin.l.ruffin
Pilgrim

Re: RE: Re: Smoker placed above the grill

Postby marvin.l.ruffin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:52 am

k.a.m. wrote:If I am understanding you correctly you will turn the 250 gall into a large grill and have a chamber attached to the top to act as an exhaust/smoke chamber? If so then yes that should work as long as you allow enough air flow into the upper chamber.
How big of an upper chamber are you thinking of?

I'm thinking about 2 feet tall 2 feet wide and about 5 feet in length. I want it to be tall enough to fit decent size briskets and wide as I can possibly get it (for warming and finishing other meats) without having to cut down a tree everytime I use it.

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:29 am

How do you plan on connecting the two? You will need a bridge around the opening and a larger cap over it to help keep the smoker drippings in the upper chamber.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
marvin.l.ruffin
Pilgrim

Re: RE: Re: Smoker placed above the grill

Postby marvin.l.ruffin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:27 am

k.a.m. wrote:How do you plan on connecting the two? You will need a bridge around the opening and a larger cap over it to help keep the smoker drippings in the upper chamber.

I plan to make the supports for the smoke chamber hollow. They will be placed on the very far left and right ends of chamber and act as an intake for the smoke chamber. I didn't think about the drippings, but maybe very slight slope at the bottom of the chamber should keep all the dripping toward the middle?

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:03 am

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”