And then there were 3....

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

And then there were 3....

Postby Txdragon » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:06 pm

So After looking around for quite some time into a pit with a bit more professional air about it, I have narrowed it to 3 possibilities. I am looking for solid, sturdy, dependable, and efficient. these listed can certainly boast those qualities, and they are within a reasonable budget.

Option 1- Only thing this one really lacks is the insulated FB. Other than that, She looks great. I have seen them in person and they are beautiful. From Horizon smokers.. http://www.horizonbbqsmokers.com/backya ... hal-smoker

horizon - Copy.jpg
horizon - Copy.jpg (134.02 KiB) Viewed 6902 times

Option 2 - Fully insulated vertical smoker. Kinda small but still more room than I would ever need for a regular cook. It gives me flexibility to entertain more folks.
Backwoods Party smoker. Not the G2. http://www.backwoods-smoker.com/products.html
backwoods.jpg

Option 2B- ONLY If I need to veto option 2 for the next model up from that, I am going with the Hitman 48 from pitmaker.
http://pitmaker.com/product/vin/?vin=67759341
Pitmaker-Hitman-1b.jpg

Option 3- This pit would be a first choice for an insulated experience, given it is within my 2k or less price range, the LSG 24x36.
LSG - Copy.JPG

Thoughts, concerns, experiences, comments?
(Insert witty signature here)
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: And then there were 3....

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:36 pm

how important is tending or not tending a fire to you? If you had rather not add a stick every 45 minutes or so then the backwoods is a good choice. If you enjoy fire fiddlin' and would miss that as part of your cooking experience then you might want to consider knocking it off the list.

As far as the offsets are concerned in your list I have been beyond impressed with the LSG's I have seen. I've also read several accounts of their customer service being spectacular.

That Horizon is probably a nice smoker but it just reminds me too much of the Old Country Pecos. Nothing wrong with those (I've got one sitting in my backyard now) but if you are looking for a next level pit..........
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:55 pm

Well, I may have an obvious bias for Lone Star Grillz cuz I own one but lets get beyond brand for a moment.

The insulated firebox will cost you a large percentage of the budget. Need vs. Want is going to be your deciding factor. I don't think you'll need an IFB here in Texas as it just doesn't get that cold. Your other more economical option would be to upgrade to 1/2" thick material on the firebox. The IFB will still end up too hot to touch regardless of the insulation as the inner and outer walls are connected in some fashion - so that sorta leaves that reason hanging out. The number one reason I went with an IFB was to keep the pit looking sharp for a much longer time, since the paint is not exposed to the super high heat. Every offset I've owned - 1/4" and 1/2" walled firebox - the paint went away pretty quick and required constant maintenance to keep it looking decent. High heat paint just won't work and "seasoning" with peanut oil (which works) is a hassle and has to be re-applied often.

I also have a preference for square fireboxes, which allow more room for preheating logs and ash collection. The Horizon features a grilling area on the firebox - I've had that feature on a pit and never used it once. A lid over the firebox is more places for heat and smoke to escape or another area to be concerned about warping. Disclaimer: I've never used a Horizon pit and I'm certainly not condemning it in any way.

Given the choice between a 20" diameter vs. a 24" diameter pit I'd raise the extra cash and go 24" every time.

Your insulated cabinet smoker is a different animal compared to a stick burner. Very hard to make a direct comparison without knowing how you like to cook and if you like tending fire vs. letting the charcoal do the work for you. Just don't forget to add some wheels to your order - they don't move very well without them (backstory too long for now).

Not sure any of this helps but wanted to share some thoughts while waiting on a very slow clock to reach quitting time. :banghead:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:17 pm

Thanks for the input so far! I'm no longer in Texas, but temps are similar where I am. There are actually 4 seasons here and that's a plus. Lol. That's why I was curious about the IFB. If a 1/2 inch FB would do me well, I could probably just forgo the insulation. I realize the vertical would be a bit of a game changer, so I figured I would toss that in for next level. Now I do enjoy the OCCASIONAL tending to the fire, but lord only knows I have spent about as much time babysitting a BBQ pit as I have spent raising my kiddos. I would rather not have to be a slave to the pit when I have it going though, and be able to add a bit of wood if I want to instead of constantly needing to. Kinda why I have taking a serious fondness of the minion method lately. I can set it and come back to it a few hours later as if I had never left. The horizon is just a huge upgrade over my current OK Joe.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:53 pm

You might be interested in this video of how to start up a backwoods. I have gone to a similar method in Blue (that's Tardis to you) and so far so good.

https://youtu.be/PrF0FRhxCjU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:33 pm

bsooner75 wrote:You might be interested in this video of how to start up a backwoods. I have gone to a similar method in Blue (that's Tardis to you) and so far so good.

Lmfao, the tardis is a legend. :chef: :chef: :chef:

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:45 pm

Can i throw another log on that fire (pun intended)? best of both worlds?? :)

I have been having the same thoughts of sealed vertical smoker, oldschool offset, OR that lonestar 24 Offset Vertical. I am very interested in your thought process on what you choose.

rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:00 am

Count me in the crowd of a 24" cc being far superior to a 20".

I've got a "grill" section in my firebox and I've actually used it. Not often, but it saves me from having to bring an extra grill to the cookoff or from having to fire up a separate grill. I don't use it if I have something in the cook chamber.

Whichever way you go, congratulations on the upgrade!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:45 pm

bsooner75 wrote:You might be interested in this video of how to start up a backwoods. I have gone to a similar method in Blue (that's Tardis to you) and so far so good.

I have been searching around for some other videos on this particular brand and I give them props! Blue was the straw that broke the camel's back for me; I seriously wanted to buy it because it looked like the Tardis, just not optimum timing for me financially, so I decided to search for similar options lol. Given that the insulated cabinets are a bigger game changer for me than I may want to partake, I expanded my search still to barrel-style offsets.

rus_bro wrote:Can i throw another log on that fire (pun intended)? best of both worlds?? :)

I have been having the same thoughts of sealed vertical smoker, oldschool offset, OR that lonestar 24 Offset Vertical. I am very interested in your thought process on what you choose.

rb

I haven't ruled out offset verticals, just haven't looked into many just yet.

TX1911 wrote:Count me in the crowd of a 24" cc being far superior to a 20".

I've got a "grill" section in my firebox and I've actually used it. Not often, but it saves me from having to bring an extra grill to the cookoff or from having to fire up a separate grill. I don't use it if I have something in the cook chamber.

Whichever way you go, congratulations on the upgrade!

I wouldn't have imagined such a big difference of 24 over 20 :dont: :scratch:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:39 pm

I have just added lang to this list.. Sigh.. Good looking cooker for VERY reasonable pricing.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:28 am

Txdragon wrote:I have just added lang to this list.. Sigh.. Good looking cooker for VERY reasonable pricing.

If you are expecting quality welds and QC then you should reconsider a lang this is just my opinion though.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:28 am

having never seen a Lang in person, i cant speak to their welds, but i do like the look of the grills AND the value. I just dont like the stand style riser second rack they use. would MUCH prefer the option of sliding bottom and top grills. The stand style they use just looks very clunky to me.

rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
red farr USER_AVATAR
Red Farr
Wrangler

Postby Red Farr » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:25 am

....for smoking I use a vertical ... it's the most efficient ... fuel and cook times
Red
...Blue Skies and Green Lights...
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:11 am

k.a.m. wrote:If you are expecting quality welds and QC then you should reconsider a lang this is just my opinion though.

Are we talking visual or functional quality? If the welds are sloppy but complete and don't leak, I'm not too concerned. If they are incomplete or crack after a couple uses, that's a problem. To be 100% honest, I despise visible weld seams, no matter how "pretty". I think it adds pure negative appeal to the aesthetics.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:03 pm

My bottom line for anything personal and at home, is always Passion verses Pocket Book - - - - :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”