BBQ Trailer - Suggestions?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rojosbbq USER_AVATAR
RojosBBQ
Pilgrim

BBQ Trailer - Suggestions?

Postby RojosBBQ » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:42 pm

Hello,

I am looking to build my first BBQ trailer that I can use for both competitions and for weekend "food trailer" usage. I am at the very beginning stages - does anyone have any suggestions on the kind of pit(s) I need on the trailer, and / or other equipment needed (sinks / prep table / etc;) for this dual usage? I was thinking two 500 gallon propane tanks mounted parallel with a vertical smoker as well. And a sink. I would like to have versatility to do both competitions and food trailer set-ups.
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Re: BBQ Trailer - Suggestions?

Postby txsmkmstr » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:56 am

To get a better feel for what you might require consider browsing some of the pit manufacturer's websites for ideas and sizes. Your needs for competition will differ from a food truck but if you're set up for food truck style work space you should be set for comps. Also, I suggest you contact the local health department and see what they require for food trucks. It's usually a LOT more equipment intensive than comps and regulation will vary greatly depending on locale. Best of luck in your research.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
DownHomeQue
Pilgrim

Postby DownHomeQue » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:03 pm

How much do you plan on cooking at once? What is the most you could considerably see yourself cooking for at once? For competitions you won't necessarily need such a huge double barrel 500 gallon smoker.. I have cooked plenty with my 250 gallon smoker. With dual 500 gallon smokers your most definitely going to want a tandem axle trailer with brakes.
rojosbbq USER_AVATAR
RojosBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby RojosBBQ » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:09 pm

Well this post is a very late reply. Since my last post I have acquired a 250 gallon propane tank that I currently have soaking with AJAX and TSP. I'm currently looking for the most inexpensive trailer I can get, and all I plan to put on the trailer is the smoker with smoke stack, and a firebox that I plan to make out of half of another 250 gallon propane tank. I am looking for something that uses full-size wheels, but single axel. As absolutely as simple as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can get that, maybe a kit I can weld together?
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:57 am

There's always used trailers on Craigslist, but if it were me I'd look for a reasonably honest dealer, somebody you can chase about issues. If you are in Dallas area, try Redferns in Aubrey they always have a lot of stuff.

Also, there is a really good trailer repair / refurb shop over in Weatherford called Zanetti's that did an outstanding job for me swapping out an air ride for a conventional suspension on a horse trailer. Price was reasonable for the job. I think they do build jobs too.

My only advice is to over-axle, I.e. pay up a bit for a heavier rated axle than you think you need, particularly since you are thinking single axle, though I would +1 ongoing dual axle. Even if you buy a used job you can swap it out. Pulls better and much safer and your rig is going to pound up quickly if you go steel plate versus vault cooker say. Nothing like pulling a soft springed trailer that's fish tailing and bouncing around to get the blood pressure zooming. And if you can, build a bullet nose on it versus flat front, you'll save a ton in gas and much safer, helps prevent fish tailing.

One other suggestion, I learned of late many health departments want you to have a triple sink set up (wash, bleach sanitize, rinse) on yer rig for food trailers or catering. On board fresh water and dump tanks are really a prime "oughtta have" for that reason.

There are a lotta restaurant supply houses out there with used SS sinks, coolers, etc. One tip, pretty sure I saw a triple compartment SS sink/table sitting in the yard at Cedar Depot in Tioga recently. They probably need it like a hole in the head.

Burns Suerte!

Just my two cents worth.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”