Pork butt

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Bobbergone63
Wrangler

Pork butt

Postby Bobbergone63 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:12 pm

Ok after the minor setback of the insulation issue. I am looking at the results of my first burn. Mind you this is a full propane system. Here are my first results.

From 70 degrees to 290 degrees it took 30 minutes. I was able to top out in the cooking chamber at 370 degrees and maintain that temp 45 minutes after start up.

So question is:
1. if I put 30 cold pork butts in this smoker, will that have an effect on my heat?
2. At what temp and for how long would I take to cook them.

Reminder. This is my first build. And I am trying to feed 350+ Jr. High kids in a setting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Pork butt

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:53 am

Add at least an hour to your cook time to compensate for all the cold butts hitting the grates. Once stable cooking at 325°/350° and depending on if you have to rotate meat for hot spots just guessing but probably 8 to 12 hours for 30 butts.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Bobbergone63
Wrangler

Postby Bobbergone63 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:41 pm

Thanks k.a.m. One thing I forgot to add but it may not make much a difference. These pork butts will be cooked in a pan. So they won't have 100% free air around them. But they will have the hot juice bath.

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:42 am

Bobbergone63 wrote:Thanks k.a.m. One thing I forgot to add but it may not make much a difference. These pork butts will be cooked in a pan. So they won't have 100% free air around them. But they will have the hot juice bath.

The pans will add some time as well because they will first act as an insulator to the bottom of the butts.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”