Trailer problem

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Lilbuilder
Pilgrim

Trailer problem

Postby Lilbuilder » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:48 pm

I have built a custom smoker/trailer setup, ran into a problem while test driving the trailer if anybody might be able to help me out. Granted I didn't get above 30 mph but the trailer seemed to bounce an awful lot, especially on the tongue. I probably need more trophies weight but I have wood storage and will have full propane tanks on the front going to a campsite but will still run into the problem if I drive back empty, does anyone have any suggestions? Axle is a 5200lb axle. Sorry if these pictures come out upside down. I don't have a picture of it but there is also a 3/16 plate right behind the front compartment.
IMG_0661.JPG
IMG_0712.JPG
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: Trailer problem

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:00 pm

If it was me, I'd without a doubt say u need more tongue weight.
Also I would think a second axle would benefit that length trailer .

Just my 2cents tho.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:22 pm

10-4 on W V's comment - - - you definitely need MORE tongue weight or it will fish tail after certain speeds. Good Luck :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Lilbuilder
Pilgrim

Postby Lilbuilder » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:24 pm

The trailer is 12' long, the tank is roughly 330 lb, the firebox roughly 300 lb, from what I know about trailers is you want about 10-15% weight on the tongue, problem is what is considered tongue weight. Is it anything in front of the axle? Or actual weight on where it hooks to the truck,
The storage area is roughly 50 lb, the plate I put behind the plate is 3' deep x 5'10" which is about 138lb, my fear is once I put wood in the storage that would be enough weight. I know too much tongue weight is also a bad thing so I'm trying to figure out the medium between a set axle weight and a differential tongue weight
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:56 pm

In the picture it looks like well over half the cooker is behind the axle that is your problem. If it were me I would cut the hangers loose and move it as far back as possible and still be able to put on my fenders.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
coque USER_AVATAR
COQue
Pilgrim

Postby COQue » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:02 pm

Having just pulled my Lang 36 Hybrid Deluxe Patio (900 pound rig) home on a U-Haul 5x9 open-air trailer, they made me sign a contract that said 60% of the weight of the load had to be in front of a painted black line in the center of the trailer.

In other words, if I got into a wreck or equipment failure, and they later found that I was heavy in the tail, it would make my rental agreement null and void. Thus, I think k.a.m. is on to something with trying to front load the trailer. It makes for safer high speed stability. It made a big difference when I was doing 80mph during a windstorm on I-40 near Amarillo !!
Lang 36 Hybrid Deluxe Patio (current)
Texas Original Pits Pearsall 16", 1/4" inch thick, single door, patio (sold)
Chargriller 5050 with OFB (sold)
Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth, 4 Probes
Famili OT008 Digital thermometer, 2 probes
dwilliams35
Pilgrim

Postby dwilliams35 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:35 pm

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”