Off topic somewhat...burn barrel ideas?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Off topic somewhat...burn barrel ideas?

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Chasdev wrote:My goal is to never let the smoke get sour, I want very pale blue or next to no smoke at all.
I have tried restricting intake flow multiple times but each time the clean smoke starts to go gray and starts to smell wrong..
Tried several brands of hardwood lump and I might as well put the brisket in the oven, the heat produced is at the expense of the flavor that I lose by not burning wood and making wood coals.

While thin blue smoke to just a heat signature is a perfect scenario it does not make or break a cook session. When applying new sticks it is common to see some white smoke for a few minutes then it should clear up again it is all about fire management and learning the cooker.

Good luck with your project. :)
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:00 am

Of course, fresh sticks always burn dirty, and that's why I preheat even these tiny sticks and also leave the firebox lid open until the new wood to comes to full flame before closing the lid.
I really am in control of the fire and cook chamber temps, my issue is that sometimes using tiny sticks the coal bed gets too small to get the next stick going quickly.
Another factor is that I have half a cord of oak I don't like and need to dispose of, so a burn barrel will kill two birds so to speak.
I would have a source of fresh coals as needed and sooner or later I can buy some more good post oak..when I have the room to store it in the wood shed.
red farr USER_AVATAR
Red Farr
Wrangler

Postby Red Farr » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:17 am

.....looks like an Old Country , if you'll measure your exhaust pipe it should be about 5 inches , now measure the opening in the cook chamber to the exhaust pipe it's only 4” , that smaller opening is restricting the air flow , a 4 inch pipe for that size smoker is small , you may have to clean it up with a hack saw blade or pneumatic saw , take advantage of the 5 inch established pipe , if you decide to make this modification after burn again , see how the pit reacts to better air flow and adjust from there.......it's a process.....straighten out the front end then go to the firebox
Red

…..if not you might try moving the fire / coals forward or backward in the box to see which way provides the best control

…..rely on the draw to pull heat from the firebox into and thru the cook chamber weather the fire is close to or far from the opening , most important is the draw , if you have a 5 inch pipe use it , fire back cooler , closer , hotter
...Blue Skies and Green Lights...
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:41 pm

I read Franklin's book and watched all his videos about a dozen times before my first brisket cook and have played with fire location,including height from the floor of the firebox which he does not talk about, all in an effort to lower cook chamber temps.
Also have tune plates and have raised the cook surface an inch to get away from the overheating tune plates..
Your suggestion on the outlet diameter is a new one and as soon as the fence guys get done in my back yard I'll pull the cover off my cooker and get some measurements..
I've brought this up before but anyone know why or seen others who, like Franklin, don't run a grate under the fire, just have the wood arranged on the floor of the firebox, sitting in the coals and ashes?
dwilliams35
Pilgrim

Postby dwilliams35 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:05 pm

Chasdev wrote:Sounds like a good idea but tanks are getting scarce here in the land of Franklin, I would have to buy the whole thing and discard 7/8's of it..
I was thinking 55gal drum or something cheapo..but hey, I'll suggest the cap off a tank and see what he says, who knows he may have one already.

You can get tank heads new, too; I put together some friends that all wanted some, then ended up with 3' x 5/16 tank heads for aroun $110 -120 each as I remember, delivered. just tell them it's for BBQ pits right away and they can sell them without the certs for a LOT cheaper. The guy told me they come out of the same pile, they just don't have to spend the money to back up the ASME certs.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:53 am

He found a 30 gal race fuel can, I told him I wanted a smaller one so when I get it, I'll post up pics..and yes I warned him about cutting/welding on a fuel can.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:11 pm

Red Farr wrote:.....looks like an Old Country , if you'll measure your exhaust pipe it should be about 5 inches , now measure the opening in the cook chamber to the exhaust pipe it's only 4” , that smaller opening is restricting the air flow , a 4 inch pipe for that size smoker is small , you may have to clean it up with a hack saw blade or pneumatic saw , take advantage of the 5 inch established pipe , if you decide to make this modification after burn again , see how the pit reacts to better air flow and adjust from there.......it's a process.....straighten out the front end then go to the firebox
Red

…..if not you might try moving the fire / coals forward or backward in the box to see which way provides the best control

…..rely on the draw to pull heat from the firebox into and thru the cook chamber weather the fire is close to or far from the opening , most important is the draw , if you have a 5 inch pipe use it , fire back cooler , closer , hotter

That was some good advice! My 5 inch exhaust pipe was connected to a 4 inch outlet opening..
I borrowed a sawzall and started slicing, ended up making a series of straight cuts resulting is sort of sunflower pattern in the metal and pounded/folded them back toward the outside.
The pipe was offset to one side so that on the left there was only about 3/16 inch ledge with the opposite side at around an inch..top and bottom were pretty centered at around 1/2 inch each.
Can't wait to try it out.
Thanks!
Mgdwj
Pilgrim

Postby Mgdwj » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:06 am

I have the same pit as you. I made my exhaust longer and it seemed to help with conto ling the heat a lot. For the test run I simply wrapped it with a long piece of cardboard and taped it on.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:29 am

Turns out Lowes has 5in x 24in stove pipe sections for cheap, got one on the way will post results next time I cook..

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”