Insulated Fire Box vs. Thicker Metal

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

big frog USER_AVATAR
Big Frog
Pilgrim

Insulated Fire Box vs. Thicker Metal

Postby Big Frog » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:23 pm

First post, figured you all would be able to help me out in my decision.

I'm having a pit custom made. 72"x28" chamber, one door (ability to smoke whole hog), offset firebox, warming box on top, reverse flow.

Here's my question: The firebox is 1/4" thick and smoking chamber is 3/16". I've got it in my budget to do one last upgrade: insulate the firebox OR bump up the whole chamber to 1/4". Both upgrades cost the same.

1- Which would y'all recommend?
2- Is 3/16" in the chamber good enough?

(I live in Fort Worth FWIW)
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: Insulated Fire Box vs. Thicker Metal

Postby TX1911 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:29 pm

I'd go with the 1/4" chamber, personally. I think the benefit of the thicker chamber will exceed the insulated box with a thinner cooking chamber.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:29 pm

Oh, and welcome! Drop by the new members section and say 'hi' when you get a chance!
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
notorious q.u.e. USER_AVATAR
Notorious Q.U.E.
Pilgrim

Postby Notorious Q.U.E. » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:31 pm

I'd have to agree that the cook chamber will be the biggest surface area from which to lose heat. Good analogy is if you're heating your home and you have a choice to close the front door or the garage door to minimize heat loss, you're gonna go where the money is with the bigger are of heat loss.

1/4 cook chamber would be my vote. Welcome. Even though I'm not Texan, I lurk around here as a token Coloradan.
Shirley Fabrication 24x50 Traditional Door (3/8 thick CC and FB) Patio aka "Precious Metal"

"can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid."
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:54 am

Upgrade the cook chamber to 1/4". If you are not going to be introducing heat/smoke into the warmer then the firebox will be your heat source for the warmer. If you insulate it you will not get warm enough to hold food properly.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
big frog USER_AVATAR
Big Frog
Pilgrim

Postby Big Frog » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:32 am

Thank you all for your input. (Resetting and assuming I can't afford the upgrade) Do y'all have any opinion on 3/16" in the chamber?
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:38 am

It's acceptable. Not ideal, but it's better than most store-bought.

My personal opinion, and take it for just that, is that if you're spending the money to have this built, spend a little more to get the thicker walls. Last thing you want is to have it built, get it home, start cooking on it, and start having regrets.
Again, your mileage may vary.
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:38 am

I'm a novice and no way a builder but may I ask if you have done anything to improve the insulating qualities of the chamber :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
big frog USER_AVATAR
Big Frog
Pilgrim

Postby Big Frog » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:47 am

OldUsedParts wrote:I'm a novice and no way a builder but may I ask if you have done anything to improve the insulating qualities of the chamber :?:

No, nothing's besides contemplating the extra 1/16th in thickness.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:49 am

My thoughts would be why upgrade thickness and not make it as air tight as possible ? Even if it was made from 1/2" stock it has to hold heat to produce proper temps that last the needed time. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
notorious q.u.e. USER_AVATAR
Notorious Q.U.E.
Pilgrim

Postby Notorious Q.U.E. » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:14 pm

I've got to agree that the holding of heat in the cook chamber is what churns out the best Que. Even if you have to delay fabrication, I've got to agree with the other posters that thickening the cook chamber walls is worth your while.
Shirley Fabrication 24x50 Traditional Door (3/8 thick CC and FB) Patio aka "Precious Metal"

"can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid."

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”