NBBD refurbish.

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

texasbred
Pilgrim

NBBD refurbish.

Postby texasbred » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:14 am

So I've had a couple different smokers in the past. Some nicer than others, one trailer rig, one MES 30(that I hate with a passion) and a New Braunfels small offset after the buyout that was a gift. I really want another trailer rig but when my dad offered me this one for free, I couldn't pass it up. He bought this pit in the mid 90's, original NBBD. This is the pit I learned to cook on in my teenage years. It's seen better days but free is free and with the oilfield how it is right now I can't go get a nice insulated smoker. It's been keep out of the direct rain but the humid lake air started taking it's toll. Nothing is rusted through though, couldn't even find a thin spot.
Here it is when I first got it home.

I did decide to cook a big brisket on it at least once before I tore it down.

I didn't take as many "in process" pics as I wanted, but here are a few in process and a few of the almost final.
Temp probe port

Removed the wheels, and trimmed the legs on the firebox side. Painted with Rustoleum high heat satin black, new wider handle, new screws and stainless steel tubing to space the handle out further. Also two new thermometers grate level. I also removed the stack and sealed with red rtv and new stainless hardware. Installed new solid shelf that my wife and daughter stained to match the handles.

Here's where I'm at now. Locking casters, new firebox handle spaced out further from the lid, rtv sealed between the firebox and cook chamber, deflector plate(I wormed out and cut too narrow). The pit does have a very slight intentional rake for grease to drain out. I also bent a piece of steel to throw in the bottom of the firebox, a little extra protection but also easier cleanup.

I did buy Lavalock sealant and door latches but the way the lid is designed the sealant wouldn't work. So I'll probably end up doing the rtv squish method. I do plan to re-season it and cook on it this weekend though and do the door seal later.
Last edited by texasbred on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: NBBD refurbish.

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:55 am

I'm thinking that you have made your Dad very proud :tup: salvaging a BBQ relic is just plain Cool :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:15 am

Good job bringing the ole cooker back to life.
texasbred
Pilgrim

Postby texasbred » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:06 am

Thanks guys. I have cooked on it a couple times now. I'm still fighting a big heat difference from end to end. I modified the deflector plate some but I think I'm going to have to order a Horizon convection plate or make some tuning plates.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”