V Shaped Fire Grate

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

big frog USER_AVATAR
Big Frog
Pilgrim

V Shaped Fire Grate

Postby Big Frog » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:42 pm

Please help. I recall in the last week coming across a photo someone posted of their fire grate mod. I failed to save it properly at the time, can't find it the post and it's about to drive me crazy.

The fire grate was inside a square piece of metal and was V shaped. The idea was to let ash fall through and keep the coals funneling down the V (at least I think that's what the builder intended). If anyone knows the photo or post I'm referencing will you please direct me to it. If it's your fire grate I'd love to hear your review of the modification.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: V Shaped Fire Grate

Postby GRailsback » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:17 pm

I think KAM has that in his fire box if I remember right.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:29 am

I made a version out of a cheap multi rib rack by bending it around so that smaller wood sticks would fit in the slots standing up at an angle.
This exposes the sticks to more air/airflow and helps production of "good smoke".
I'm still on the fence when it comes to ash, I keep seeing pics and videos of BBQ gurus running the fire on top of a large pile of ashes...so perhaps ashes add insulation or prolong the life of the coals by keeping the air off them..
Having said that, I did like the way my smaller fires behaved with the sticks standing up and getting better air flow.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:29 am

Here ya go Big Frog. GRailsback is correct I use them in all my cookers. They are removable and on Bahama Mama those are adjustable I can slide them close or spread them out.
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=25909&start=105
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”