Cutting a 250gal propane tank

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

fAUST
Pilgrim

Cutting a 250gal propane tank

Postby fAUST » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster/new member.
I've been welding and building smokers for years, but have always used compressor tanks or custom fabs and have always avoided cutting into a propane tank. I've read and researched for years and always backed away from doing it. I know about using water and detergents, exhausting and ventilating, but here's my idea/question. Assuming the tank has been uncapped for a few years, after clearing/ventilating with water right side up, etc., in addition, what do you think about tossing it on top of a pallet bon fire in the middle of a farm field, 1/4 mile from anything, lighting it, and running!!? Then come back a few hours for a clean and safe tank to cut on? Safer?
Profabcustom
Pilgrim

Re: Cutting a 250gal propane tank

Postby Profabcustom » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:07 pm

you could do that .... but there's no need to waste the time. If you put water and dish soap in it and let it set a couple of days you'll be fine. I have cut many of them and actually have cut them with out doing the water bit if they have been open for a while. I've never had a problem. The 1st one you do is kinda nerve wracking though, lol

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”