Air gap for insulated firebox??

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cparker2277
Pilgrim

Air gap for insulated firebox??

Postby cparker2277 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:57 pm

Hey guys I'm needing some advice. I'm building a traditional offset with a square firebox that is 20.5" square. I'm kicking around the idea of insulating it to make it more efficient. I like things to be as simple as possible so the idea of using an air gap as an insulator sounds great to me if it's effective. I'm using 1/4" steel plate and am thinking about either making it double walled or using a small air gap as an insulator for the 4 sides. I will have a warming box on top to act as insulation there and assume the bottom doesn't need insulation. How effective will either of these be for me or am I wasting my time and $$???
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Air gap for insulated firebox??

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:12 pm

Most insulated fireboxes have 2" insulation and still get warm. There are folks that say air gaps work I am not one of them I believe 2" insulation is more efficient. Now the bigger question is you said you want a warmer on to the firebox. If you insulate the top how will you get your heat?
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
cparker2277
Pilgrim

Postby cparker2277 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:19 pm

I will have a single layer on top of FB and use the radiant heat for the warmer. I will have a baffle also to let in heat if I want to cook in it or need a little more heat and put in cool air inlets in case it gets too hot. Does this sound good or is there a better way to do it ??
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:29 pm

cparker2277 wrote:I will have a single layer on top of FB and use the radiant heat for the warmer. I will have a baffle also to let in heat if I want to cook in it or need a little more heat and put in cool air inlets in case it gets too hot. Does this sound good or is there a better way to do it ??

The single layer is what I do. It read like the top would be insulated as well.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
cparker2277
Pilgrim

Postby cparker2277 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:37 pm

Okay good deal, I'll stick with that part of it , thanks for the advice !

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”