Lone Star Grillz decisions

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

DFoster
Pilgrim

Lone Star Grillz decisions

Postby DFoster » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:19 pm

I am looking at purchasing an offset horizontal smoker from LSG. Majority of the time I will be cooking for 4-8 people, so 1 brisket is plenty enough. On the rare occasion that I want to do a big cook, say 6-8 briskets @ 15lb average each, what would be the best size smoker?
My thought process is “I can make a fast boat go slow, but can’t make a slow boat go fast.” I also don’t want something way too big. Also from you LSG owners what are your thoughts on the firebox? I am looking at the 1/2” upgrade or the insulated. I like the 1/2” cause of the grill top, but not sure how practical it will actually be.
Any features y’all wish you would have had Chris make for your smoker?
Thanks
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Re: Lone Star Grillz decisions

Postby txsmkmstr » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:31 am

I would think that 6-8 briskets would require a 48" long offset but 60" would be easier to work with. Also, many times your 15 lbs. brisket will be trimmed down closer to 13 lbs so they may fit easier. This also assumes you have the tuning plates configured so hot spots are reduced.

For suggested features, I'll point you to my own pit thread - feel free to copy or add to that.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=28258
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”