My New Gizmo...

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

My New Gizmo...

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:03 am

I was trying to come up with a way to get a temp reading at grate level in my CharGriller. I know there is a mod to the CG but I don't want to go drilling holes when I don't need to.

Got to thinking about this and rummaged through our scrap metal bin here at work and came up with this idea.

Took the scraps to the machine shop and about an hour later I came out with this. Actually I made two of them.

I think that it will be heavy enough that it will stay put, but if not I will weld a little 1/4" key stock on the bottom then mill it down a little if needed. This way it will fit inbetween the slots in the grate.

Now, for the important question, are the actual temp sensors in the tips of the probe (ET-73)? Do you think that the metal will conduct heat to the probe? In otherwords, will this dang thing work??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:34 am

I dont know but it looks cool. :D
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:07 am

Looks great Chuck. :D Not sure if will work being made out of metal ?? they usually tell you not to even lay the probe on the grate because of this. They usually say to stick the probe through a potato or a block of wood with a hole in it. :D I would think this would give false readings because it will give temps based on the metal and not the air in the smoker. :dont:
Jim
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:44 am

OSD wrote:Looks great Chuck. :D Not sure if will work being made out of metal ?? they usually tell you not to even lay the probe on the grate because of this. They usually say to stick the probe through a potato or a block of wood with a hole in it. :D I would think this would give false readings because it will give temps based on the metal and not the air in the smoker. :dont:

I am thinking (wondering if) that if the sensor is at the end of the probe and the end of the probe is several inches away from the metal, that maybe, just maybe I will be able to get a fairly close reading. :dont: :dont: :dont:

I hope to try it this weekend and see what happens.
Chuck

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:47 am

nascarchuck wrote:I am thinking (wondering if) that if the sensor is at the end of the probe and the end of the probe is several inches away from the metal, that maybe, just maybe I will be able to get a fairly close reading. :dont: :dont: :dont:

I am thinking that might work because it will be out a few inches. Do you have an old or cheap oven therm you can put next to it to compare the readings?
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:51 am

bowhnter wrote:
nascarchuck wrote:I am thinking (wondering if) that if the sensor is at the end of the probe and the end of the probe is several inches away from the metal, that maybe, just maybe I will be able to get a fairly close reading. :dont: :dont: :dont:

I am thinking that might work because it will be out a few inches. Do you have an old or cheap oven therm you can put next to it to compare the readings?

I think that my wife has 1 or 2 in the drawer... I will use those as well...
Chuck

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:04 am

Stick it in a cork or a tater.

bigwheel
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:08 am

bigwheel wrote:Stick it in a cork or a tater.

bigwheel

Why don't you go stick it in a cor... errrrr.... because this looks better and it wasted an hour of my time at work when I should had been working... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chuck

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:51 am

nascarchuck wrote:

bigwheel

Why don't you go stick it in a cor... errrrr.... because this looks better and it wasted an hour of my time at work when I should had been working... :lol: :lol: :lol:

and the problem with that is???? :lol:
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:13 pm

SteerCrazy wrote:
nascarchuck wrote:

bigwheel

and the problem with that is???? :lol:

I don't have the problem with it... BW & my boss do!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually my boss thought that it was pretty cool...
Chuck

joe USER_AVATAR
joe
Pilgrim

Postby joe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:56 pm

nascarchuck wrote:
OSD wrote:Looks great Chuck. :D Not sure if will work being made out of metal ?? they usually tell you not to even lay the probe on the grate because of this. They usually say to stick the probe through a potato or a block of wood with a hole in it. :D I would think this would give false readings because it will give temps based on the metal and not the air in the smoker. :dont:

I am thinking (wondering if) that if the sensor is at the end of the probe and the end of the probe is several inches away from the metal, that maybe, just maybe I will be able to get a fairly close reading. :dont: :dont: :dont:

Chuck if you get too much error I can send you some teflon to make a bushing with. I've got some round stock about a half inch in diameter that looks like it might work.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:21 pm

joe wrote:
nascarchuck wrote:

Chuck if you get too much error I can send you some teflon to make a bushing with. I've got some round stock about a half inch in diameter that looks like it might work.

Thanks for the offer! We do have alot of teflon stock at work. Do you think that the teflon would melt?
Chuck

joe USER_AVATAR
joe
Pilgrim

Postby joe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:26 pm

nascarchuck wrote:
joe wrote:
nascarchuck wrote:

Thanks for the offer! We do have alot of teflon stock at work. Do you think that the teflon would melt?

Melting point 620 degrees F. So I guess it depends on how hot the gizmo gets. You might put something under it like a piece of brick to keep it cooler.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:34 pm

Sounds great Joe...

I will let y'all know how it works out. Will hopefully try it this weekend...
Chuck

burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:54 pm

The temp sensor is about 1/4 to 1/2 in from the tip. Most probes have alittle dimple on it near that point. That is where the sensor is.

I don't think the metal would affect the tem reading. BBRGuru uses a metal aligator clip to hold te probe. The ET-73 uses a metal holder also. As long as you keep the hunk of metal away from where the sensor is located you should be fine.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”