Best Mod So Far

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

CookinWithWood
Pilgrim

Best Mod So Far

Postby CookinWithWood » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:44 am

I'm newish to offsets, and I picked up an Old Country Pecos about month ago to learn to cook more meat at once. I've been modifying a little here and there, but I just finished the best one yet. What do you think?
Attachments
IMG_20190609_174921.jpg
IMG_20190609_200513.jpg
IMG_20190609_221429.jpg
IMG_20190614_194705.jpg
IMG_20190630_112113.jpg
Weber Smokey Mountain
Old Country Pecos
Weber Kettle
Char-Griller
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Re: Best Mod So Far

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:58 pm

Beautiful.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:00 pm

:tup:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:33 pm

Very nice, well done
peterb123 USER_AVATAR
PeterB123
Pilgrim

Postby PeterB123 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:12 pm

Love it.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:52 pm

Lone Star Awesomeness - - - :tup: :salut: :cheers: :texas:
I've been wanting to get a pink flamingo and painting the :texas: on it's body but I'm getting a little resistance from SWMBO :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:56 am

Great look, hope it lasts!
Look inside the opening where the exhaust stack is welded to the body, if there's a large ledge in there, you can cut and grind it down to de-restrict the flow from the body to the pipe.
Also you can improve air movement through the cooker by extending the exhaust pipe, which can be done pretty easily using water heater exhaust vent pipe.
lubbockguy1979
Wrangler

Postby lubbockguy1979 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:43 am

CookinWithWood wrote:I'm newish to offsets, and I picked up an Old Country Pecos about month ago to learn to cook more meat at once. I've been modifying a little here and there, but I just finished the best one yet. What do you think?
What paint did you go with? I was thinking about painting mine when i get closer to being usable. Btw looks awesome good job

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
CookinWithWood
Pilgrim

Postby CookinWithWood » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:48 pm

Chasdev wrote:Great look, hope it lasts!
Look inside the opening where the exhaust stack is welded to the body, if there's a large ledge in there, you can cut and grind it down to de-restrict the flow from the body to the pipe.
Also you can improve air movement through the cooker by extending the exhaust pipe, which can be done pretty easily using water heater exhaust vent pipe.

Thanks! I read through some of your posts about your experience with the pecos before I bought it, so I had some idea what I was getting into.

I work in engineering and I love tinkering and improving on pretty much everything, I basically want to use this unit to experiment. I am definitely planning a few more mods, including changing stack height, but I'm going to add a more thorough temperature monitoring set up before I do anything.
Weber Smokey Mountain
Old Country Pecos
Weber Kettle
Char-Griller
CookinWithWood
Pilgrim

Postby CookinWithWood » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:56 pm

lubbockguy1979 wrote:
CookinWithWood wrote:I'm newish to offsets, and I picked up an Old Country Pecos about month ago to learn to cook more meat at once. I've been modifying a little here and there, but I just finished the best one yet. What do you think?
What paint did you go with? I was thinking about painting mine when i get closer to being usable. Btw looks awesome good job

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I used the VHT Engine Enamel. https://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-engine-enamel

It's not made for extreme high temps like the header paint, but it says it's good up to 550F, which should be plenty on the outside of the cook chamber. If you do any of the high temp paints, I'd recommend thoroughly cleaning and degreasing the metal, then use their high temp primer. Also make sure to follow the directions for curing the paint. It requires a few hours at about 250F.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Weber Smokey Mountain
Old Country Pecos
Weber Kettle
Char-Griller
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:47 pm

CookinWithWood wrote:
Chasdev wrote:Great look, hope it lasts!

Thanks! I read through some of your posts about your experience with the pecos before I bought it, so I had some idea what I was getting into.

I work in engineering and I love tinkering and improving on pretty much everything, I basically want to use this unit to experiment. I am definitely planning a few more mods, including changing stack height, but I'm going to add a more thorough temperature monitoring set up before I do anything.

Tuning plates for sure, mine was way hotter on the firebox end until I added some plates.
My best advice (and this goes for anyone interested) is to be VERY picky about the wood you buy.
Get a moisture meter and go for dry dry dry wood, and don't take any wood seller's word on if it's "seasoned" or not.
I wasted a lot of time and money cooking with less that properly seasoned wood.
My best tasting meat and easiest to control fires were with old dead fall post oak which was probably under 15% moisture.
My worst tasting meat and hardest to control fires were with core oak sticks from a large tree that, while it had two years seasoning the moisture was around 25%.
It was slow to light and burned too hot.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”