My first UDS

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:10 pm

This from the Pit Gallery:
http://www.bigdrumsmokers.com/ , don't know if they have plans for sale but several pictures are there to be sure.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:17 pm

No official plans that I've seen. Simple a food grade barrel ( I used new, unlined, open headed barrels). The simple rules seem to be: Intakes at the bottom. Exhaust in the lid. Cooking grate at least 24" above coals.

A charcoal basket raised a few inches off of the bottom of the barrel is a nice feature. Will try to update some pics of my UDSs later this weekend and post them.

Here is a link to my first UDS. The second has a few design changes, but very similar to this one.

http://www.bennett-family.com/pics/pits/james/uds/

James.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:46 pm

Hey Sandman, the first link you provided has a wealth of UDS information for sure (be sure to have a six pack at hand, it's a long read). That site also has a ton of UDS information via the search function there. Although, I've been cooking on an old Ugly barrel for years, that thread is the one that convinced me to try out a UDS for myself.

James.
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:20 pm

Thanks everyone for the compliments.
James is right. I got most of my info at the Brethren thread. Be ready for a long read, at this point the thread is 58 pages long. After reading it you should have no problem building one.
R&R that's the first thing I have to do is make some kind of ash catcher.
I don't think turning the drum over after every cook will be much fun after the first time.
The intake nipples on the bottom are 3/4 in.x 4 in.The top of the drum had 2 plugged holes in it. I'm using the bigger hole. It's 2 in.
For the charcaol basket I used expanded metal that I braised together to form a round cicle. Then I braised it to an old 18 in. charcaol grate.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:41 pm

Hey Puff, keep up posted on what you decide to to for an ash catcher. I'm trying to come up with something as well. I did put handles on the side of my UDS to make it easier to dump the ashes out, but I'm sure there is a better way.

James.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:43 pm

BTW: Just for reference, I used 2 1" holes on the bottom for air intakes w/ball valves and 4 1" holes in the lid for an exhaust.

In the link I posted above, that was my UDS ver 1.0, I removed the upright pipe due to some intake issues. Those pics on my site also do not show the other two exhaust holds in the lid. Ver 2.0 looks very similar to the pics with the exception that I did not mount the thermometer directly over one of the intakes.

James.
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:45 pm

JamesB wrote:Hey Puff, keep up posted on what you decide to to for an ash catcher. I'm trying to come up with something as well. I did put handles on the side of my UDS to make it easier to dump the ashes out, but I'm sure there is a better way.

James.

Will do.
A guy on another site used I believe what was a WSM water pan underneath the basket. I would think the water pan would restrict airflow to the fuel though. Looks like more reading to do :shock:
The problem I think I might come across with the "chrome exhaust" is when it comes time for snuffing out the fire.
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:48 pm

Here's the initial burn. Loaded the basket with lump. Lit it and let her rip wide open to burn any goop off the inside. After this I will rub the inside with vegatable oil throw in some wood and let ride for a bit to season.
You know I swear I see a little blue smoke already :D

dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:47 pm

Looks Xcellent Puff!
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:06 pm

Puff wrote:
The problem I think I might come across with the "chrome exhaust" is when it comes time for snuffing out the fire.

Yeah, I was wondering about that... On mine, I close it down and cap off the exhaust ports and the fires dies quick!

James.
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:22 pm

When I was done with the burn I shut the bottom intakes and the fire went out. Plenty of lump to spare after 7 hrs. too. Could of ran alot longer but it was late and I was tired.
Tomorrow I'm going to try a cook on it. Maybe chicken and a fattie or two.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:58 pm

Sounds like a great way to break 'er in... If I'm doing short cooks like chicken, I can get several burns off one load of charcoal. Just give the basket a shake and put about 1/2 chimney of burning coals on top and pick up where I left off from the last cook...

James.
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:40 pm

That's the plan.
I furgured i'd keep it short till I get used to how she handles. :D
Do you use lump or regular briquettes?
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Have used both with equal success... using mostly briquettes now since I have a stock pile of Rancher Charcoal...

James.
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:53 pm

At last count I think it was 22 bags of Rancher in my garage :shock:
I'll give it a try. Thanks :D

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”