My New Pit

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

catfishd USER_AVATAR
catfishd
Pilgrim

My New Pit

Postby catfishd » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:40 pm

My buddy made this for me and I painted and seasoned. Let me know what you think
My Pit

Inside the fire box and Grill section. I still need to have a basket made for the firebox for now I am just using raised grates. As you can see I just seasoned. I used a mixture of bacon grease and olive oil. Olive oil is rated for higher temps and thought it would be better then peanut oil.

Grill part of it big enough to do a small hog if I want measures 50"x24"

And the stack is 24"Length 20"width 40"height.

I know this is not as custom as other pits out there. But for the cooking I will be doing on this I believe it will meet and exceed my needs. And should last me for a long time to come. This is by far the best pit I have ever owned and I cannot wait to start cooking on it. I put 3 coats of paint on it and seasoned it. Now I just have to figure out how to cover it with a cover that will last. Right now I am using a tarp.
Last edited by catfishd on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Re: My New Pit

Postby bowhnter » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:55 pm

catfishd wrote:. Now I just have to figure out how to cover it with a cover that will last. Right now I am using a tarp.

Talk to Mel (member here) http://mels-bbq-covers.com/

That's a nice lookin pit, you should be able to fit a few briskets and ribs in there!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:01 pm

Yeah, I think a few burgers'll fit. :wink:

Great lookin' pit, catfishd! How about some more pics? How do you regulate the temp with the firebox that wide-open? Or is there 2 boxes, 1 for the grill section and 1 for the vertical box?
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
catfishd USER_AVATAR
catfishd
Pilgrim

Postby catfishd » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:19 pm

The vertical box has a damper door and it is closed if you look in the second pic. I was a little concerned when I see how open the firebox was too. And I am sure I am going to have to make some mods to it for a better control. That is why I am posting pics cause I want the input to make it more efficient.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:31 pm

Cool pit!

James.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:05 pm

Nice pit. :D 8)
Jim
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:34 pm

Good lookin pit. Yeah it concerns me how open the cook box is to the firebox. I have used a pit like that (early Oklahoma Joe) and you can make those work without mods but definitely didn't have even temps across the width. You're too good to your baby just season with regular ol' vegetable oil it works fine.
Now make it smoke!
tarde venientibus ossa....
catfishd USER_AVATAR
catfishd
Pilgrim

Postby catfishd » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:45 pm

It kept a pretty level temp across the pit when I seasoned it. But I called my buddy today and he is going to make me another damper like the one for the vertical for the firebox to have better control. Before I do anything serious on it I will have to play with it and see how sufficient it will be on controling the temps

Unfortunately I wont be cooking on it for another couple of weeks. I have to have surgery on Thurs. I have crohn's disease. And I have some narrowing in my small intestines that they need to go in and fix. And we are hoping I will not need to have a resection. Either way I need to have surgery and wont beable to do any cooking or eating of the good BBQ for about 2 weeks. But when I get better oh man I am gonna be firing up that baby everyday. I used my last smoker/pit a minimum of 2-3 times a week from grilling to BBQing.
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:48 pm

What a great looking pit... You are ready for some serious Q'ing! :)

malama pono a hui hou,
honu41
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:51 pm

catfishd wrote: Unfortunately I wont be cooking on it for another couple of weeks. I have to have surgery on Thurs.

Yeowtch! Good luck with the surgery, cat. We'll be praying it goes well for you.

Meanwhile, ~ 2 weeks to pics of the pit in action. Countdown begins now. :wink:
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:47 pm

Good looking pit to be sure 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:32 pm

What do I think? Hmmm............I think you should get that bad boy fired up and cookin' :wink:
Nice pit 8)

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”