What brand?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

What brand of charcoal do you prefer?

Kingsford
33%
Sams Choice
5%
Royal Oak
33%
B&B
10%
Duraflame
No votes
Wicked Good Charcoal
5%
Cowboy
5%
Other - Please explain
10%

Total votes: 21
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:26 pm

Mine too, but Mar 22 looks ok for me right now.

I will post a new topic for it
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:05 pm

I've been using B&B for about 2 years now. I have always heard of people finding "weird debris" in their bags of lump. I haven't ever found anything in my bags though. Pretty darn good price in my opinion. $10.99 for a 20# bag (used to be $9.99 at Bucees). This is oak lump, they also offer mesquite lump but in smaller bags. I haven't seen mesquite lump in the 20# bags yet.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:33 pm

JamesB wrote:
bowhnter wrote:The rancher I had didn't get too good of reviews and that was the only constant factor I could figure, so quit using it.

What did ya not like about the Rancher? The only two bad things that I've heard about it was that it didn't burn as hot as K and that some folks cooking in UDSs would have some flying ash issues from time to time.

It works great for me, but then again, I've only burned up about 600lbs of the stuff so far... :shock:

James, I too got bad reports when I used rancher. Unfortunately I used it during a contest. Most of the comments from the judges was bad charcoal or tastes like lighter fluid. My wife and I couldn't taste a difference. However, I won't use it in comps again. Can't afford to take the chance.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:08 pm

Hey BFD. Sorry you had a bad experience with the Rancher. Did you try it out prior to using it at the contest?

I've used a lot of it with out noticing any off tastes. I hope I don't stumble onto a stinker of a bag!

James.
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:29 pm

JamesB wrote:Hey BFD. Sorry you had a bad experience with the Rancher. Did you try it out prior to using it at the contest?

I've used a lot of it with out noticing any off tastes. I hope I don't stumble onto a stinker of a bag!

James.

Yes we did. Like I said we couldn't tell any difference. We ate the food that wasn't turn in. Maybe 6 bad pieces of chicken got turned in? I don't know.

."

Da Dude's new blog
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:43 am

Royal Oak lump and I prefer their briquettes as well. Have no problem with Kingsford, and Kroger brand charcoal is fine with me as well. I hate Cowboy lump, although I might buy a bag for the Fourth of July, with all those sparks and hisses it likes to throw!
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:57 am

Burnt Food Dude wrote:
JamesB wrote:Yes we did. Like I said we couldn't tell any difference. We ate the food that wasn't turn in. Maybe 6 bad pieces of chicken got turned in? I don't know.

That is puzzling to say the least. I don't compete, but is there a possibility that your turn in box got switched?

James.
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:24 pm

JamesB wrote:
Burnt Food Dude wrote:
JamesB wrote:Yes we did. Like I said we couldn't tell any difference. We ate the food that wasn't turn in. Maybe 6 bad pieces of chicken got turned in? I don't know.

That is puzzling to say the least. I don't compete, but is there a possibility that your turn in box got switched?

James.

There is always that possibility but its not likely.

."

Da Dude's new blog
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:17 pm

Yeah, with most contests doing the double blind box tagging and all, I really didn't think a box swap was that feasible. I'm just really surprised that you did not detect something that the judges did. There is something that just doesn't add up.

Oh well, I don't want to :deadhorse: , so I'll just wish you all the luck in the future and no stinky charcaol!

James.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”