Cleaning old Barrels

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jlabolt USER_AVATAR
jlabolt
Rustler

Cleaning old Barrels

Postby jlabolt » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:31 pm

Anybody out there have any ideas on cleaning old fuel barrels. Seen dozens of backyard smokers made out of them, but I'm not sure how to properly get all the fuel out. Wash and Burn, I'm assuming. Any experience in this issue out there.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:09 pm

You could wash and burn out an old fuel barrel but I would think you would want to burn it out 3-4 times to make sure it's really clean and free of any residue. :D
Before using a fuel barrel, I think I would try to find a new unlined barrel( no burning-just season ) or a used food grade barrel and burn out the lining. Some food grade barrels that had cooking oil in are unlined also :D In the long run a lot safer and a little peace of mind knowing for sure the barrel was clean and safe to cook on. :D JMHO

Check out the sticky thread UDS Build. Lots of excellent info there. :D

http://www.texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3613
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:25 pm

It's been done for years with old fuel oil barrels and tanks, but for the money, I'd start with a new unlined barrel... I can pick them up for $32 each here in DFW. After you consider your time and fuel to burn out a used barrel, I think you'd break even on the new one... My $.02...

James.
jlabolt USER_AVATAR
jlabolt
Rustler

Postby jlabolt » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:39 pm

I'm looking at using a 300 gallon tank. What size are you talking about. $32 sounds awfull cheap.
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:41 pm

Welcome aboard, jlabolt!

Like the others, I'd start with a food-grade barrel or a new one. I had the option of getting one that had fuel-oil in it, but the guy told me I was better off getting the food one, just because I might not get all the fuel residue off.

That said, most folks wash the barrels very well and burn them out several times. This helps clear out any reside and also works to burn the liner and paint so it can be scrubbed off with a wire brush. With a fuel barrel, I'd wash, do 2-3 burns, scrub again, and probably another 2-3 burns, minimum.

But, if you can find one that had cooking oil, rather than fuel oil, I'd grab it.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:11 pm

jlabolt wrote:I'm looking at using a 300 gallon tank. What size are you talking about. $32 sounds awfull cheap.

My apologizes.. When I read the mssg, I assumed you were talking about 55 gal barrels that a lot of us are converting to smokers. I don't have any experience converting tanks as large as you are contemplating using.

Keep us informed of your progress!

James.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:25 pm

jlabolt wrote:I'm looking at using a 300 gallon tank. What size are you talking about. $32 sounds awfull cheap.

Guess you are talking about a fuel-oil tank. I'd burn it out with a hot fire. Been a long time since I've been around a fuel oil, but if memory serves, the risk of big booms isn't as much as say a propane tank or gas tank.

Isn't fuel oil AKA #3 diesel?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:43 pm

300 gallons!!! :shock: Y'all frum Texas?
tarde venientibus ossa....
jlabolt USER_AVATAR
jlabolt
Rustler

Postby jlabolt » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:38 pm

Not from Texas, from Indiana. Hope to visit for the Q someday though.
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:04 pm

The only tanks I've seen that big have been LP. I don't have any personal experience with anything else. The barrels I was looking at are 55 gallons.

I think the same rules still apply, though. It'll just take a *lot* more fuel than I originally thought. I don't suggest you try cutting it yourself, though, unless you have experience cutting old fuel tanks. Again, the risk of explosion is too great, IMO.
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:55 am

Is the 275 gal fuel tanks for home heating oil the type you are looking at? They have been used for years for making grills and smokers.

If this is what you are talking about, I would call a fuel oil supplier and check on a new tank price. They always have new replacement tanks around. They usually run around $300-$350 for a new one. Much better than messing with a used one that has had fuel in it.JMHO :D
Make sure you get the thicker steel one. Most are 14ga metal, but there are some that are 12 ga out there and be sure it is not galvanized metal. :D :D
Jim

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”