High Temp Paint

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

High Temp Paint

Postby DJ » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:30 pm

I need to repaint my pit and I'm looking for help with a brand and possibly a source from which to buy. Looking for possibly 1200* for the fire box and probably 500* paint for the rest. Not sure if anything will stay on the FB, what do you think?
Thanks,
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
ddlexis
Rustler

Postby ddlexis » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:37 pm

Good luck on the paint. I have never used anything that was worth the cost. I do hear stove paint holds up well but I am skeptical.

dd
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:38 pm

Sounds like a Papa Tom question to me... . Ping .... :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:45 pm

Home Depot sells both spray cans and quart cans of BBQ/Stove paint. I think it's rated at 1200°.

There is nothing you can afford to put on the firebox that's gonna last. I gave up years ago with that. Now I just oil the box down after a cook...
hapyjak USER_AVATAR
hapyjak
Pilgrim

Postby hapyjak » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:15 pm

painted mine with the high temp rustoleum with an airless. but that was on sand blasted metal. so it took it good and is holding up ( 2 Quarts one coat). even on the fire box, but i fire my box with propane so it may not get as hot. on my old one i took the quart can thin it with 5 % mineral spirits (to minimize the brush strokes. and brush it on every year and it did well. ive always used black.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:02 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Sounds like a Papa Tom question to me... . Ping .... :wink:

Well James and Jak beat me to it . Really I ECHO what James said you can buy quart cans of stove paint at HD and don't be afraid to get out the vegetable oil and chip brush. I have done that for years with good results. It doesn't look like a freshly painted pit but it looks a whole lot better than rust and it gives you something to do while you're cooking no stink involved. I tend to prefer corn oil but I think any will work.
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”