just got a new pit... what do you guys think?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

brandon
Pilgrim

just got a new pit... what do you guys think?

Postby brandon » Fri May 15, 2009 5:41 pm

Ok, i just got a new pit and before seasoning it i wanted to get ya'lls opinions. I know it's not a klose or anything, but i'm just a backyarder gettting started. Its a bolt together construction (i noticed the chargrillers are much the same, and a lot of people use them). I haven't heard of the brand before it is Sear & Smoke and is the Texas Star model. Here are some pictures...

am i ok with this pit? or should i return it? it was $299, which is my budget. what worries me is the booklet that came with it says "smoke will escape from areas other than the smokestack. THis should not affect your cooking." How true is this? I'm hoping it will last up to 5 years and then hopefully i'll have money for a nicer pit or build my own. So please give me some opinions since ya'll have more bbq smarts than me.

thanks,
brandon
brandon
Pilgrim

Re: just got a new pit... what do you guys think?

Postby brandon » Fri May 15, 2009 5:48 pm

oh, and if it seems to be a keeper what is the best way to season it? i know to coat with veggie oil and start fire, but should the fire be in firebox or grill, or both? I'm assuming firebox, but you know what they say about assumptions....
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri May 15, 2009 6:11 pm

Never heard of that brand either. Where did you pick it up? Should do you very well after you get used to it... Get you some cheap spray oil from wally mart etc... and spray down the interior. Build yourself a fire in the firebox and let it go for several hours.
brandon
Pilgrim

Postby brandon » Fri May 15, 2009 6:24 pm

I got it from my local heb. i looked at home depot and lowe's, but all they had was propane. Anyway, i think it should be ok, just got nervous and wondered if i should have gotten the weber smokey mountain that was alway in the back of my mind (you know texas boys like offsets though even if there are some advantages to the vertical). thanks for the thumbs up... if anyone else has any comments before i break her in it would be welcome.
brandon
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri May 15, 2009 6:29 pm

It don't need to be a Klose or a fancy name. Some of the best Q I've had came off a weber kettle! Its the cook, not the cooker that counts.

Some sage advice: take some serious notes your first 15 or twenty cooks noting outside temp, cooker performance (charcoal, lump, aromatics) and get to know the pit. All of 'em have thier "quirks'. :shock: :lol:

And don't forget to calibrate the thermometer!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
brandon
Pilgrim

Postby brandon » Fri May 15, 2009 6:34 pm

all right i'm feeling a bit more confident about my choice. i'm off to the store for some spray oil! i'll check back just in case anyone has a negative before i start my burn.
thanks,
brandon
brandon
Pilgrim

Postby brandon » Fri May 15, 2009 6:42 pm

oh, is veggie oil the best to use for seasoning the pit or is there a better oil?
brandon
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri May 15, 2009 6:43 pm

Looks good. :D Now get it seasoned so we can see some smoke from the stack and food from the grate. 8)

That oil will work fine. :D

When you get a chance, stop over at the Wanted poster section and introduce yourself and let us know a little about yourself. :D
Jim
brandon
Pilgrim

Postby brandon » Fri May 15, 2009 7:00 pm

will do after the fire's started!
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Fri May 15, 2009 8:02 pm

Thinkin ya done ok there Brandon! Actually looks like a lot of pit fer $200! Follow Deppity Daves advice and keep notes, it will pay dividends later. Happy Smokin!
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri May 15, 2009 8:51 pm

Looks good, torch that baby up!
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Fri May 15, 2009 9:25 pm

Looks good to me Brandon,

The only thing I would check is the thermometer on your first couple of cooks.

Have fun and post some pics!
rbread80
Pilgrim

Postby rbread80 » Fri May 15, 2009 11:02 pm

ok, it's me (brandon), but using my account. i couldn't log in and had to make an account through my wife's email account. anyway, how do i go about calibrating the thermometer. Also, while doing my seasoning temps were only around 200-220, which i guess will be ok, but how should i go about getting it a little higher? i used a full chimney off charcoal and some chunks of mesquite. after a while i recently added about 1/4 chimney and a few more chunks of wood. temps are just around 210 right now. i've got the vent wide open. should i open the side door a little to let in more air? or will this kill my temp? i really don't want to play around too much tonight as i'm going to be doing this til after midnight as it is.
brandon
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri May 15, 2009 11:43 pm

Send Gator your e-mail address in a PM. Our new hightech anti-spam tool might have got you by mistake.

When the pit seasons, less heat will be reflected off the shiney parts when they get coated with pit-juice. That said, You should be able to get higher temps. It's all about combustion. A small hot fire is better than a large smoldering one. I'd crack the door a tad and see what happens. If it results in higher temps you might want to consider adding another combustion vent.

Also check for ash build up. Too much ash under the fire will restrict combustion air.

IMHO, an upper limit of 220° is unsat.

Hope you don't have any grub in there. The packing chems you're buring off, well you get the idea.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
rbread80
Pilgrim

Postby rbread80 » Sat May 16, 2009 12:01 am

no, no food... maybe tomorrow. I picked up some boneless beef ribs, sausage, chicken and a 3-4 lb. beef tip(?). I think i'm gonna save the beef tip for the 2nd try, try to give myself more time to try things out. I don't mind messing up the less expensive stuff so much as the larger chunk of beef.
could my temperature problems be that the coals are too spread out? should i have them more condensed in a pile? i just sort of dumped the coals from the chimney. Also i bought a bag of mesquite from the grocery store how many chunks should i be putting in at a time, and how frequently should i add more? I know wood will burn hotter than the charcoal. Also i'm just using charcoal briquets, when i cook i have lump coal which i believe will burn a little hotter. THis is the best forum ever ya'll helped me out a lot last year (i had a donated 55 gallon drum grill i tried indirect grilling/smoking).
brandon

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”