Removing rust from pit

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Re: Removing rust from pit

Postby OSD » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:50 am

For those hard to reach spots that a wire wheel or grinder can't get to, you could brush navel jelly into and on them and then just wash off the navel jelly when it's done it's thing.
Jim
reddragon72
Pilgrim

Postby reddragon72 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:58 am

OSD wrote:For those hard to reach spots that a wire wheel or grinder can't get to, you could brush navel jelly into and on them and then just wash off the navel jelly when it's done it's thing.

I keep hearing about this stuff. Does Lowes carry it?

Also I now feel as though I have a good grip on how I want to tackle this...

1. wire wheel/grind(only the hardest spots) the outside.
2. Paint outside with several coats of paint(undecided on which brand) Also running some coals in the pit to bake the paint on(unless that is bad)
3. wire wheel the inside(maybe navel jelly in hard to reach spots) clean it out of course :-)
4. veggie oil the heck out of the inside and light her up with some coals to bake in the oil.
5. apply another coating of oil and run some hickory in her for a few hours to start to get the coating back in the cooking chamber and bake in the second coat of oil.

how does that sound? Of course step six is COOK SOME MEAT!!! :-) :-) :-)
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:00 am

Lowes down here carries it. So, I guess they would where you are.

Sounds like a good plan. 8)
Jim
reddragon72
Pilgrim

Postby reddragon72 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:48 am

WOW I could not believe I over looked this. What can I use on the hinges? I have the doors off and have the houseings all cleaned up, but what grease can I use that wont cook away?
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:51 am

Once you get those hinges freed up, just keep applying cooking oil after every cook. I'm assuming you're talking about the hinges for that baffle going from the fire box to the cooking chamber. If that's the case, you don't want to be using anything that would give off fumes that could taint your food in any way.

To make it easy, just spray them with some Pam or other cooking spray.
Large Big Green Egg
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

What's On The Grill?
reddragon72
Pilgrim

Postby reddragon72 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:57 am

actually the baffle is frozen in place. I have some PB blaster setting on the hinges now, but I doubt it will help. The hinges on the doors on the firebox was the ones I was concerned with, but yea I guess cooking grease will work.

Anyone one cooking oil better then the other for the firebox/hinges. I don't want to get th wrong stuff in there and start a fire.

sorry for all the Q's but I want this pit done right and I don't want to screw it up, cause that would suck to get something free and kill it trying to get it back to normal.
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:03 pm

Don't worry about the questions. I'm anxious to see how the restoration goes for you, along with pics of it in action. It's a good practice to give the cooker a light coat of cooking oil inside & out after every cook to keep it in good shape and relatively rust-free. While doing that, just give those hinges a good spray of Pam & they'll be fine.

I wouldn't give up on that baffle either. Sometimes heating up will help loosen things up by expansion. Just make sure you get rid of any flammables (don't know anything about the PB Blaster) before you decide to use a torch to apply some heat. Once you do get it freed up & moving, keep it oiled with some Pam.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?
reddragon72
Pilgrim

Postby reddragon72 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:16 pm

roger that on the questions, cause I will undoubtedly have more of them.

yea I use PB blaster on my jeep to get things loosened up before I put a wrench on them, cause I have a tendency to break stuff when it wont move. :lol:

so you mentioned pam, I'm thinking that can around a firebox might not be a good thing :-) also will veggie oil or corn oil or some other oil work better for the inside?
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:32 pm

Yeah, dont be spraying PAM with a lit fire. Use before lighting fire and after cool down
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:35 pm

No, you don't want to be spraying Pam around an open flame, but it's perfectly fine if there's no flame present. When I use my offset, I dump ash & any embers into a steel bucket and cover it for them to cool down before disposing. That way, I can spray down the side fire box with Pam while it's still warm.

Otherwise, vegetable oil or other cooking oils are fine. Just try to use a light coat.

Also, for that frozen baffle - you might want to try tapping on it a little with a hammer to help free it up. Don't be surprised if you can get it moving once you have a little heat going. Even if that means trying it when you have a good fire going in the fire box.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?
Toontroller
Bandolero

Postby Toontroller » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:02 pm

reddragon72, those particular Barrel hinges are $2.50 ea localy so if you need a replacement or two we can get them headed your way.

Keep the PB blaster working on them for a while it's good stuff.
reddragon72
Pilgrim

Postby reddragon72 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:21 pm

yea I'll get me some veggie oil for the firebox and put it in a squirt bottle. yea I'm not going to give up on those hinges, but wow they really have me worried. I plan on having the outside done tonight and ready for the first coat of paint, we have storms coming in and even though the pit is in the garage the rain can still splash and I need to have the door open to paint unless there is a roll on paint. :D

Toontroller, I would love to just cut those hinges out and put new ones in, but my problem is that I have no welder to weld new ones in, so I am kinda stuck with those, either they move or I live with it. but for now I'm going to keep applying BP to them.
Toontroller
Bandolero

Postby Toontroller » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:09 pm

Rustoleum high temp paint is great for rolling on. Does a great job w/o thinning.
reddragon72
Pilgrim

Postby reddragon72 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:51 pm

I looked for that stuff at lowes site, but nothing comes up, not even the spray stuff comes up, but I know it is there. I'll have to look when I get there this evening. I'm getting all my protective gear and the wire wheel to start striping the rust away :-)
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:23 pm

Our Lowe's carries the Rustoleum in Quart cans... for some reason they stock it over by the spray paint cans.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”