Bubba Keg - Good or Bad

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grizz USER_AVATAR
Grizz
Bandolero

Bubba Keg - Good or Bad

Postby Grizz » Wed May 05, 2010 10:13 am

Has anyone had any experience with a Bubba Keg grill. I have read a couple of threads in other blogs comparing the Keg with the BGE. I have heard that all things considered they both operated the same (heat retention etc.) but that the Keg is hundreds cheaper.
Jeff
GrizzlysBBQ.com

LSG Vertical Cabinet smoker
Bubbakeg (Kamado)
21" WSM

Grizzlysbbq.com

And in the end it’s not the barbecues in your life that count. It’s the life in your barbecues. – Abraham Lincoln
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Re: Bubba Keg - Good or Bad

Postby CJATE » Wed May 05, 2010 10:24 am

Grizz wrote: but that the Keg is hundreds cheaper.

and ease to find.

I'm not sure, so I went with the egg. seems to have more support and add'ons. I also bought mine as the BK was just gaining steam. I'd probably get the BK now.

but I'm not getting rid the my egg. it's the best thing I've ever cooked on.
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed May 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Jim (OSD) has one, send him a PM if he doesn't see this thread.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed May 05, 2010 8:11 pm

I have a Keg that I have been cooking on for 6 months now. I'm very pleased with it. The new ones are a nicer color and they improved the air intake and the exhaust so that it is easier to adjust for low and slow cooking. They are a very good buy when you consider that they come with almost everything standard that is an option on a BGE. The wheels and stand are much heavier built and are adjustable. The shelves are std. Cast iron grate is std. and the second level cooking grate is also std. A large, easy to read ( adjustable ) thermo is std. Another nice feature is the lid has a lock feature when moving it around or hauling it on the hitch set-up, which is also std.
And 2 built in bottle openers are std.
The one accessory that you would want is a plate setter/diverter. Another great thing is any accessory that fits a large BGE, Primo, or similar size ceramic will fit and work in the Keg.

So, when all is added and done they are almost half the cost of what an equally equipped large BGE is. I think that makes them a great value.

I don't really use mine for low and slow cooking ( I did one cook and it worked fine ), I have several smokers for that. I mainly use it for different types of grilling. I have found that it will get up to 800° easily ( I like this for steaks ) and holding temps on it is a breeze. Like the ceramics, it is amazing how little lump it uses during a cook. There is a learning curve, just like any new toy, but it is very easy to use.

JWWFM-YMMV
Jim
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Wed May 05, 2010 8:12 pm

IMHO A Keg isnt 1/3 of what a BGE is, I would buy the egg over the keg anyday... :wink: :lol:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”