Johnson Smokers made in Ennis?

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

razataz
Pilgrim

Re: Johnson Smokers made in Ennis?

Postby razataz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:04 pm

looking at a 2d patio for myself Looking at the pictures it looks it might be hard to clean ash out of the fire box . Anyone have experience with cleaning it out
TheHojo
Pilgrim

Postby TheHojo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:02 am

I have not cleaned one out yet - but when I visited with Chad, said it was a very easy process - get a small broom and sweep the ashes and shovel out - I think I am going to get a small hand broom and use an old fireplace shovel I have. Hope that helps - Paul
k9paws
Wrangler

Postby k9paws » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:10 pm

I went to visit Chad at Johnson's Smokers this afternoon, annnnnd put a deposit on an Ultimate Patio Smoker.
He is a nice guy, readily answers questions and does not pressure you to make decision.
My wife told me I better be planning on doing a lot of smoking, now that I’ve ordered it.
Gee she is so mean. :lol: :lol:

Now the long wait, about 3 months
Take Care, Keep on Smoking
God Bless Us All
TheHojo
Pilgrim

Postby TheHojo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:19 pm

Congrats on the new smoker order - mine is scheduled to be completed in the next 3 weeks - the 3 months went by fairly quickly - PTS
razataz
Pilgrim

Postby razataz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:23 pm

will you post some detailed picks of you pit when you get it
TheHojo
Pilgrim

Postby TheHojo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:40 pm

Razataz - of course - let me know what you want to see and I will post some photos - PTS
TheHojo
Pilgrim

Postby TheHojo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:03 pm

Picked up my new smoker on Friday - everything I expected and more - broke it in with a Boston butt and smoked Mac n cheese.
k9paws
Wrangler

Postby k9paws » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:08 pm

Hojo,
That is a mighty fine looking smoker.
Congrats
Gary
God Bless Us All
Rich&Rare
Pilgrim

Postby Rich&Rare » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:16 pm

My wife and I purchased a Johnson Smoker in 2011. We have been more than happy with it. Controlling the heat has been a trick to master for me. However, I have found once it gets to about 300 to 350 with all vents open, I let it back off to 225 to 250 and close one intake completely and adjust the other intake from wide open to a quarter open depending on what the heat is doing. All exhaust vents wide open all the time. I currently have no grate in the bottom of the firebox. I sometimes think one would work better than not having anything but I figure if it was meant to have one Chad would have put one in there.
CollinCoDrummer
Pilgrim

Postby CollinCoDrummer » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:31 am

I can cook for 20 on the compact patio. I bet the Ultimate Patio would double that amount of meat. Every time I fire my pit up I'm impressed. Johnson Smokers work great, make delicious food, and the price is very fair given the attention to detail, quality metal, and great welds. I recommend him to everyone who asks, and some who don't!
bkvanbek
Pilgrim

Postby bkvanbek » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:11 pm

I will use mine for grilling too, about 50% of the time. Should I consider another pit, other than the Large "T"?
k9paws
Wrangler

Postby k9paws » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:43 pm

I picked up my Ultimate Patio from Chad a couple of weeks ago and have been very impressed with it. He builds really nice smokers and stands behind them.
I noticed a question about cleaning out the firebox, but have not found it to be any problem. I just use a small fireplace ash shovel and it works fine.
As for grilling he gives you a couple of options. Mine came with 2 charcoal trays that can be put on the bottom racks and then grill on the top racks, or it is easy to remove the reverse flow pipe and put the charcoal trays in the bottom of the smoker. As others have noted Chad will work with you in building it to meet your needs.
God Bless Us All
billoldridge USER_AVATAR
BillOldridge
Pilgrim

Postby BillOldridge » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:05 pm

Ordered my Compact Patio Reverse Flow Unit from Chad back in November. I had a few options I wanted, and he was SUPER easy to work with on the project. With the holidays, the flu, and all the "Global Warming", I finally got it picked up about three weeks ago. This pit is AWESOME.....It is so easy to maintain the temp, and after three cooking sessions, the product I'm able to produce with it is only getting better, and it started out phenomenal!......http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/
Yes Dear!
billoldridge USER_AVATAR
BillOldridge
Pilgrim

Postby BillOldridge » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:13 pm

razataz wrote:looking at a 2d patio for myself Looking at the pictures it looks it might be hard to clean ash out of the fire box . Anyone have experience with cleaning it out

Nothing to it. I have a small nylon bristle sweep and dust pan assembly I bought in the camping aisle at Academy Sports. I think it was intended to use in a tent, but it works perfect to clean out the firebox on the Compact Patio unit.
Yes Dear!
billoldridge USER_AVATAR
BillOldridge
Pilgrim

Postby BillOldridge » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:15 pm

Here's the sweep and pan I have!
Yes Dear!

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”